Just bought an S-275!

Dreamlander

Reaction score
I never really had any plans of buying an S-275 or never really new anything about them (still don't I guess), but I saw this baby shaker and I guess it really caught my eye and so did the price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=018
It doesn't have the original XR-7 pups, but it does still have the rings. It also doesn't have the original knobs, I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of knobs were on these guitars, Hans? Also the tuners have been changed out for grovers which I am just going to leave since the holes are already made. The only thing that worries me a little is the refret, but I figured at that price I would take the risk. I think I got a good price, but I have never seen one sell before. I would like to hear any comments about the guitar, price and otherwise. If anyone has seen one sell before I would like to know what they usually go for. I am also in the market for some XR-7's, doesn't seem like there is a lot of them around, but if anyone knows of any let me know.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Nice snag. Can't answer any of your specifics, 'cept to say put me at the top of the list if you decide it isn't your cup of tea. Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good price.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks to me like a pretty good deal.

The correct knobs are the Guild "speed" knobs. Black, round with notches around the top.

Here's a picture lifted from the net of your model;

e4a3_1.jpg

Enjoy!

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Heck here's Dreamlander's guitar from the Ebay pics. Pretty thing.. :)

ec67_1.JPG

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, Dreamlander! You're acquiring quite the 70s and 80s Guild rocker collection. Congrats.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey Dreamlander,

Good deal. I am sure you will like this guitar. It has an outstanding neck. It is a classic mid 1970's neck profile that Guild used on these early 1980 solidbodies. The neck is very quick and thin and has the 24 fret length with ebony finger board. The head is a classic Guild design before the funky designs of the later 1980's guitars. This guitar is also comfortable and on the lighter weight side. These came in two colors, Blond and Cherryburst. Mine is a Blond.

I predict that after you spend a little time with this one you will like the neck so much that you eventually persue a SF4 shaped M80. The 1980's M80 model has the same neck as the S275 but offers easier access to the upper frets and is considerably heavier but are great quality guitars.

Enjoy!
M

danerectal

Reaction score
You can hear all of our Guilds in various capacities on the Daleks' myspace page.

http://www.myspace.com/davrosandthedaleks

The Whiskey song is clearly a Telecaster, but outside of that here and there, the rest are Guilds. We'll have to put up some new ones when Josh's S-275 shows up. Sadly, we never captured the SFIV. He also has a couple JS-IIs that need documentation along with the S-60D. :roll:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Planet Two"

:shock: :D

What gear are you playing through? I love the sound of that song!

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
danerectal said:
You can hear all of our Guilds in various capacities on the Daleks' myspace page.

http://www.myspace.com/davrosandthedaleks

The Whiskey song is clearly a Telecaster, but outside of that here and there, the rest are Guilds. We'll have to put up some new ones when Josh's S-275 shows up. Sadly, we never captured the SFIV. He also has a couple JS-IIs that need documentation along with the S-60D. :roll:

Long live the Daleks !!

17invasion.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hey Dane: Did Dreamlander ever get his volume control on his Guild amp straightened out? cj

danerectal

Reaction score
Cap,

He ultimately went with the concentric pot custom-made. It sounds pretty good. He's been breaking in the Alnico 15 with my Blackface, and the more he plays it, the better it sounds. It's actually looking pretty good for bass, especially with the JS-II with Hagstroms.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
danerectal said:
Cap, He ultimately went with the concentric pot custom-made. It sounds pretty good. He's been breaking in the Alnico 15 with my Blackface, and the more he plays it, the better it sounds. It's actually looking pretty good for bass, especially with the JS-II with Hagstroms.
Thanks Dane; that was the right fix. Hope all is well. cj

Dreamlander

Reaction score
danerectal said:
He's been breaking in the Alnico 15 with my Blackface.

The blackface sounds amazing through that Weber alnico. It would be hard for me to find a more desirable sound than that.
No not here yet Dane. It will be a while yet. Have to wait until my next set of days off 2 weeks from now. :cry:
I am super anxious to get this guitar. At first I wasn't so sure, but I think I am going to really enjoy this guitar. I don't really like the look of the seymour duncans so I am sure I will be changing them out. I don't know how easy it will be to find some XR-7's, but I do love HB-1's and I see there is a set on ebay right now :mrgreen: . I think those pups would look and sound great on the S-275.