Pickup selector switch "static pops" on Guild Bluesbird

90NightbirdCU

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2002-2003 Guild Bluesbird (Fender made) and found that the pickup selector switch "static pops" when selecting different positions. At rest, it is noiseless. Can anyone tell me if the switch is bad or something needs to be changed to correct this?

Thanks in advance!!

90NightbirdCU

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi 90NightbirdCU ; chances are it's just dirty. You need to get some CAIG De-Oxit / Red or other suitable electric contact cleaner and, with instrument unplugged, spray the contacts with the CAIG and work the selector switch back and forth a few times. Try it; if good, you're done; if better, do it again. If no better at all after 2nd shot then either your switch needs to be replaced or you have some kind of arcing going on that needs to be investigated. cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
No problem nightbird but while you're at it, remember to spray the tone and volumes pots too. Unless you've recently messed with the electronics, it's just a thin layer of corrosion on the selector switch contacts but all the switches need attention. cj

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey 90NightbirdCU what part of Jersey are you from?

I think we're starting to challenge the Floridstians for supremacy!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
Hey 90NightbirdCU what part of Jersey are you from? I think we're starting to challenge the Floridstians for supremacy!
:evil:

90NightbirdCU

Reaction score
First try with CRC QD Contact Cleaner decreased the popping but did not eliminate it. I will need to try this again......AFTER practicing of course!!