Bluesbird neck relief

cmsjr

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Guild has a recommended amount of neck relief for a Bluesbird? My neck doesn't have any at the moment and I tend to get a little bit of fret buzz with average string height. I suppose I can figure it out by trial and error if I have to.

Thanks,
Clark

Frosty

Reaction score
Hi Clark,
I have always thought of setup parameters (neck relief, saddle height, nut height... etc) as more specific to a player than to the manufacturer. If your neck is almost flat, string buzz is almost guaranteed with "average" action. Another factor is to examine where - on what fret - does the buzz occur? That one fret could be higher than others, which is easily fixed by a repair person.

My suggestion would be to take the guitar to a good setup/repair person and discuss your needs. Much can be accomplished and changed by tweaking the truss rod, changing saddle, filing nut and leveling/crowning frets.

Another factor - the picking technique. If you strike the strings so they vibrate parallel with the fingerboard, you are less likely to get buzzed ;-) than if you set the strings in motion such that they are told to vibrate perpendicular to the fretboard.

I know... I did not answer your question. But maybe some ideas towards your concern.

danerectal

Reaction score
This comes off the Guild website. I do all my own work, and a lot of work for others. Just be careful not to over-adjust, slow and steady wins the race.

GuildGuitars.com said:
Remove the truss rod cover, if so equipped, and apply a capo at the 1st fret. Press down the 6th string at the 14th fret with your right hand. With a feeler gauge, measure the distance between the top of the 5th fret and the bottom of the 6th string. There should be a small gap (.006"+/- .002"); remember this gap will be one-half the thickness of the 1st string (.012"). This will determine the "neck relief" necessary to prevent string "buzz" caused by the normal vibration pattern (string excursion) of the strings. Less than a .006" gap may cause a "buzz" or cause "fret out" if some high frets exist. On Guild guitars, use a 1/4" nut driver to turn the truss rod clockwise to straighten the neck or counter-clockwise to add some "relief". Note: Medium gauge strings (.013"-.056") have higher tension, with less "string excursion", needing more truss rod tension to counteract the stronger string pull. This results in more volume, sustain and more "wood" in the guitar's tone. Note: In either case, if you meet excessive resistance or need for adjustment, or you're not comfortable with this adjustment, take your guitar to your authorized Guild Service Center.

cmsjr

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

My guitar has a bit of string rattle on the low E no matter how I pick it. I'll break out the feeler gauges and give the neck some relief.

cmsjr

Reaction score
Thanks danerectal, it's actually a Bluesbird with P90's not a Blues 90, though I'd like to have one of those also!