Standing ovation

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ovation1861.jpg

That's a joke, son.

Actually got a standing ovation at the Senior's community last Thursday night! We played for an hour with a group of about 200 seniors, they sang their hearts out, and when we were finished they didn't want us to leave so we had to come back up to the mike and do an encore.

An enthusiastic crowd really does energize us, even if they are in their 70's and 80's. We had to talk to a lot of folks afterwards and one of the most prevalent comments was "We just don't hear those songs much anymore." How rewarding to be able to spread joy through music! If you haven't tried it, you need to - there are lots of people out there that will appreciate it, just ask Westy and Jeff, BD and others...

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice story Dred. I sincerely wish I could hear the music you played.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've heard bits of it too West, good stuff & fun.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mostly old gospel tunes, & gospel bluegrass like "Washed in the Blood" and "I'll Fly Away". They also loved Prine's "Grampa Was A Carpenter" and of course "You Are My Sunshine".

We also like to say "Well, we should probably introduce the band..." then we proceed to shake hands with the other band members and act as if we're introducing ourselves to each other for the first time :lol:

guildzilla

Reaction score
Good stuff, dred. Do you guys play "Railway to Heaven," "I am a Pilgrim" or "Turn Your Radio On?" Those are my favorites in the country gospel genre.

And I love the John Prine stuff.

bighouse

Reaction score
The photo was what I expected!
Nice gig story though - I bet they'll be talking about you guys for weeks (unless they've forgotten it already).
Bill

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, Bill, nice thing about playing Alzheimers units is you can do the same set list every week! :D We always joke about the fact that if we ever forget the escape code for the keypad by the door, they'll just make up rooms for us...

But seriously, music seems to be about the only way they can connect with their memories. Funny, some of them can't remember their own kids, but they keep asking when the band is coming back! How can we stay away?

My banjo player used to sing "Life's Railway To Heaven", we'll have to add that one back into the loop.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
dreadnut said:
Yeah, Bill, nice thing about playing Alzheimers units is you can do the same set list every week! :D We always joke about the fact that if we ever forget the escape code for the keypad by the door, they'll just make up rooms for us...

But seriously, music seems to be about the only way they can connect with their memories. Funny, some of them can't remember their own kids, but they keep asking when the band is coming back! How can we stay away?

My banjo player used to sing "Life's Railway To Heaven", we'll have to add that one back into the loop.

:lol: :lol: :lol: We're always talking about the homes being the greatest audiences, heck they can't hear you, and even if they could, they can't leave.

West