1967 Starfire Bass

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting. I'd like to see the serial number but my guess is that it might be a '66 or early '67 that was converted to a SF II. The Chesterfield inlay on my '67 has the lines in it. I think the bass in question does not have the lines, but it is hard to tell from the picture. Tuners and truss rod cover look ok. Neck PU looks like an original Bi-sonic or a much, much later Dark Star. Bridge PU looks like a Guild humbucker which came out in '71. PU toggle looks wrong. There is no suck switch - excuse me, "bass boost" - which reinforces an early date. No master volume either which reinforces the idea that the second PU was added. Bridge looks right for late '66 through some time in '67. The thumb and finger rests are in the right position for a '66 SF I but not a '67 SF I, but they look out of proportion to me. I believe, however, that those rests were not stock on a factory SF II. Anyway, based upon the picture, my memory and archives, I'd say what we have is a '66 or '67 SF I that was converted to a SF II in '71 or later. The person who did the conversion made the effort to use a Guild PU and Guild knobs but not a Guild toggle or the Guild wiring that included a master volume. Not sure about the rests. I'd guess they were both moved on a '66 or just the treble moved on a '67. Definitely not the original position for both but if only one moved then '67 would be it. $1,400 does sound "reasonable".

gilded

Reaction score
It's got the early bridge. If the label said, Starfire II Bass, we'd all know, wouldn't we? Call the store and ask 'em to read the label and the serial number.

I'd buy it, but I'm so happy with the one I have, it ain't funny...

Those pickups are findable, too.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I admit to rambling incoherently :)

I believe the bass in question left the factory as a SF I. I would expect it to have a serial number that dates it to 1967 and would not be surprised if it is less than BA 145x. The fact that it has thumb and finger rests, lacks a master volume and appears to have a bridge pickup that was not manufactured until 1971 strongly suggests a conversion. A factory SF II would have had a master volume, different toggle switch and lack the rests. I believe, although I am a little less certain, that by the time the factory introduced the SF II the "bass boost" and curved bridge were standard.

Even with all that, though, the original point - that it is a lot of vintage Starfire Bass for the buck - remains.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, it does seem like a good deal despite the alterations, or upgrades, however one wants to view it. I'd be just as bothered as if I were to have a SF II guitar that'd been altered to a SF III by adding a Bigsby--which is to say I wouldn't be bothered at all! Yet I can't grab it myself. Too many half finished projects in my court.

Someone grab it soon!

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I bought my Starfire I bass from GC for less than that one - maybe they just don't realize how potentially valuable they are? I was really surprised when I found mine...

Reaction score
hi guys! I called guitar center and the serial# on this bass is ba 1016 with a hoboken, nj label. i went ahead and bought the bass! i've been looking for one of these for quite awhile, and at this price, i couldn't pass it up. And, I definitely agree that it is a converted starfire I. i can't wait to get it. i'll let you know how it works out.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
carlodiamante said:
hi guys! I called guitar center and the serial# on this bass is ba 1016 with a hoboken, nj label. i went ahead and bought the bass!

Congratulations and welcome. Let me the first to ask for pictures :)

And here's what it probably looked like when it left the factory, serial number about 200 higher.

200%26_09_05_Guild%20001.jpg

Reaction score
awesomely looking bass you have there! and yes, i will besure and try and post a pic when my bass arrives. anybody familiar with the dark star pickups? i'm already thinking in advance that it might be a cool upgrade to replace the humbucker at the bridge with one. any thoughts anybody?

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
carlodiamante said:
awesomely looking bass you have there! and yes, i will besure and try and post a pic when my bass arrives. anybody familiar with the dark star pickups? i'm already thinking in advance that it might be a cool upgrade to replace the humbucker at the bridge with one. any thoughts anybody?

Thanks.

I bought my '67 SF in Pittsburgh in 1977 +/- 1. I bought a new hard shell case for it - the previous owner sold it with a homemade gig bag.

See here for more pictures of my Guilds. (I really need to take and post some better ones, but) and here for pictures I collected while researching bridges.

There is a Dark Star thread here, at the current iteration of the Dude Pit. And I'm sure you've seen Fred's site. I personally have never heard or played a Dark Star but everyone who has says they sound like the Bi-Sonic, "only better". I've been toying with the idea of putting some on my JS II but am not convinced the resulting bass will sound significantly different from the Starfire. Based upon what I know I'd be sorely tempted to put a Dark Star at the bridge on your bass unless the current lash up provides a wide range of sounds.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I too have never actually played a Dark Star-equipped bass, but what I've heard was 99% positive.

The Guild humbuckers are exactly the opposite - everything I have heard about them has been 99% negative, I only know one person that likes them, but he is someone whose opinion I trust. I can't find the thread right now, but I'll link to it if I can. So check them out first - you might find that they aren't as bad as their reputation makes them seem to be.

Oh, and congrats on the new bass!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats Carlo! So glad it got snapped up by a fellow forumite. Looking forward to pics and analysis.