Vintage Guild Amps Value Discovered

matsickma

Reaction score
Sure looks like value of vintage Guild amps have now been discovered....

Auction prices are some of the highest I have seen in years: $866, $560, $599, $490, $751, $770+ .

Prices seem be be strongest for the 1950's early 1960's models. My favorites tend to be in the period of 1965 to 1970 and still are reasonably priced on most days. It may be time to clear out the most vintage amps while the market is up!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320215823907&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160212519734&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110228670230&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130205634556&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180221205606&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160218190425&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

M

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Shrug.
Valco:
in spite of jobber quality and parts, obtains mythical status because Jimmy Page played one particular model a long time ago.
No one talks about how Hendrix used to play one with Ike Turner and dumped it as quickly as possible. Untouchable due to cost.
Danelectro/Silvertone:
Built to a (low) price, now ridiculously expensive.
Magnatone:
Oddball tubes, sloppy build quality, low production, fabulous sound. Also heading upward.

Really, they are the best bang for the buck. As far as I know, there no other brand that's waiting to be discovered. Guild's the last frontier for tube amps.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
Really, they are the best bang for the buck. As far as I know, there no other brand that's waiting to be discovered. Guild's the last frontier for tube amps.
Except for the Thunderbass head and cab, all earlier amps. Will be interesting to see if the price push will extend to the post mid-60s T1s / T1 RVTs, TBirds, TStars, and the rest. A GC Silvertone 1482 brings more than a 50watt Thunderbass head.

Hey M; whatever happened to the TStar you bought that didn't have any chassis wiring; still have it?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I figure that the older stuff will sell first, once the sellers start the bald-faced lying on the descriptions.

SOUNDS LIEK A HUNNERT WAT MARSHALL!

PLAYED BY ERIC CLAPTON!

TRANSFORMERS HAVE SOLID GOLD WIRING!

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Capn,

I have a few amp projects, guitar projects and home refurbs going on along with a busy day job. I am slowly chipping away at them.

I think the amp you are referring to is a late model Thunderbird amp. I got the parts you recommended and layed it out on the bench to redo the wiring. Unfortunatly the wife came up with a few projects that included a paint job before the Easter get together at our house. I doubt if I'll get much time this weekend but sure want to get into this one!

M

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey Default...

Hendrix used Guild. It is even in his name. James Guild Hendrix's. :)

Sorry I meant Marshall. :oops:

By the way I was reading an article a while back that talked about Hendrix's setup at Woodstock. The discussion had to do with the use of large Guild Quantum Thunderbass amps being used as stage monitors or something to that effect. I looked for them but didn't see them. I might believe that was a possibility. I also could believe Quantums with JBL's would have been a great amp for the percussion guys in Hendrix's band that day. :?

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Speaking of Tbasses .... recent and one active eBay auctions ... gonna be a while before Lewis and Clark, Edmond Hillary, or anybody else finds these. At some point, might get 'discovered' as an economic alternative to an Ampeg or Fender, if not necessarily a tone/build standard alternative. At least some reason to believe the 8417 models are being discounted due to the cost of the 8417 tubes.

8417s, $202 Auction Link

tbase01.jpg

8417s $181 Auction Link

tbase02.jpg

Tubes ?? $274 Auction Link

tbase04.jpg

6L6s $265, auction open Active Auction Link

tbase03.jpg

Break even? At these prices? Phat chance ..... my Tbass project is an exercise in Guild flag-waving ... whether I want it that way or not.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild T1 RVT, beige, fair to good condition, $360 Here
Guild Superstar, black, good-VG condition, 6L6s, reverb, trem, 15" speaker, $351 Here

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Cap'n, you have to tell us about the Guild reverb "amp" that you stole...!!! When first listed I though seriously about bidding serious money, then college tuition estimate came in (...as well as depression!)...glad it went ot a good home that will appreciate it..

Give us a review!!!!!! :lol:

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
OH! :shock: Thats too bad,, clearly not spoken of in that condition on the ad. Hope things work out OK for you with the seller.

Only bitten once on eBay, by a Vox Student Prince received in a condition not unlike your poor RC-20... :cry:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Bill; I think things will be fine; seller is being a gentleman - says he intends to refund the return shipping too. I think he relied on what the real owner told him...at least that's the impression; easier to refund someone else's money rather than risk getting tagged as a shady character in an eBay dispute - the kind of eBay seller eBay is trying to weed out.

By way of comparison in a new eBay auction for a 98RT Here , the seller says: " .... The amp is in average condition, showing ... wear on the tolex, a replacement handle, and pitting on the control panel. The amp works, but there is a hum, and the pots are noisy. The tremolo and reverb work, but are again noisy. It borders on being a project amp, yet it does work ...Keep in mind, this amp does need work, and is sold as is ..."

This is how the RC20 auction should have read; IMO, this is the standard that all sellers of old gear ought to meet.