Cheryl Crowe --Composing on a Bass

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
In a great interview in this month's Performing Songwriter magazine, Cheryl Crowe explains why she likes to compose on guitar or bass.... nice bass!

cheryl.jpg

swamp2

Reaction score
I don't personally find her particularly talented, but she at least has excellent taste in basses.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Default said:
The story behind her first album is particularly distasteful.

Do tell. I've never paid much attention to her beyond the eye candy and the Guild bass aspects. Dan Schwartz who played bass on Tuesday Night, presumably posting as mgod, does tell a story about how she fell in love with his (hollow) M-85, went out to do the same thing, found a solid M-85 and didn't really understand the difference. Or something like that :)

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wasn't the album thing that a bunch of people used to get together and jam and she stole all their tunes and put out the album?

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
The Guilds of Grot said:
Wasn't the album thing that a bunch of people used to get together and jam and she stole all their tunes and put out the album?

I hadn't heard "stole" as part of the story, perhaps only because lots of folks have credits on the album. Or may just be a matter of perspective.

I'm reminded of the song "Wooden Ships". CSN and Jefferson Airplane both recorded it. Paul Kantner has a writing credit on the Airplane album but not the CSN. For years I thought CSN had stolen the song from Kantner and deliberately not credited him. Turns out that when it was co-written Kantner was in the middle of a legal dispute with management and he asked that he not be credited on the CSN album for fear of dragging them into the dispute. There was also the implication that, if he were credited and lost the lawsuit, the victorious management would be able to sue CSN for royalties. I think this was called "stickin' it to The Man".

Mingus

Reaction score
As I understand it, most of the controversy came after disputes over songwriting credits. She had been dating one of the members (forget which) and after the breakup, things got ugly. Everyone has since calmed down though.

As far as stealing? The whole "Tuesday Night Music Club" was credited for songwriting AND playing on the album. So what. . .she showed up, stole their tunes and then TRICKED them into playing on her album? Sounds fishy to me. I think it is what it is. She wrote AND recorded some songs with some guys. . .they turned out cool. . .and then some of them got angry at her for other reasons and turned on her.

I dig Sheryl Crow.

-J

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, I guess stealing was the wrong choice of word. I knew there was some gray area there involving the crediting. :oops:

Mingus

Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
OK, I guess stealing was the wrong choice of word. I knew there was some gray area there involving the crediting. :oops:

Plus, Sheryl Crow is MEGA hot. Over 40 and she's still a major player!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Guilds of Grot said:

According to them, they were all set to tour, when she flew out to Cali and hired a band to perform what they wrote and using the defacto band name for the title of the album, ensuring that they couldn't use their own name to tour with. It would be like Ringo leaving the band and putting the music out on an album called Ringo Star- Beatles.

That's the bands take, or was their take...

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
No its not, but I'm not going to write about it anymore. Money changes everything.

DS

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Well there's a conversation killer. We'll be sure to let her know.

DS

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
mingus2112 said:
[ ... ]I dig Sheryl Crow.

-J

Me too. I think she's terrific. Somehow she survived her early career as backup in Michael Jackson's band and made her own thing work.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome mgod! (Would have said this sooner or elsewhere, but have been off net for a week and just saw you were here). Without commenting on the iterations of The Dude Pit, I will say that you were always one of the more interesting, credible and knowledgeable posters there. (IMO, of course). Glad you found your way here.