Another venue

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
Went and sang a couple of songs at a folk club in Bath I hadn't been to before, but it is just round the corner from my old singing partner of about 20 + years ago (she loved the Guild - it was only the Epiphone in the old days). Collected her and we went along together. She reckons she can't sing or play any more (doesn't try one year to the next and she's about 71 now), so I'm hoping having that club on her doorstep will inspire her to get going again, even if I have to go along for moral support :)

Of course, met some new faces but knew several as they get along to Corsham folk club as well, but there were some guys from Bristol I hadn't met before.

Anyway she reckoned her own guitar (a Yamaha) was no good any more - until I tuned it and played it for her - so hopefully she will start practising again :mrgreen:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
Scratch said:
Jerry,
Can you share your sets? Got any audio/video?

Heck - there are about 30 to 40 songs I do regularly. I'm really gonna have a try at filming some on the camcorder, and Graham says he will try and help me get them up here somehow via computer. I reckon if I set the camcorder on a tripod and film myself in a mirror playing near the camera, the little inbuilt mic will pick up the sound better but still give a reasonable distance from the player - me (don't want too much of a closeup - might frighten visitors). That would get something onto the mini tape the camcorder uses, and I will try and transmit that into the PC. If that doesn't work, guess I'll have to post the tape to Graham to play with (and that will give him all sorts of opportunites to have his evil way with my image :shock: )

Mind you, I'm $hit scared of seeing the results and putting off the evil hour for filming it :oops:

See the next entry for a list of some songs I do :mrgreen:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Back Ken - had to go on an errand. Here's some I do:

Scarborough Fair (traditional English)
High Germany (traditional English)
Raggle Taggle Gypsies Oh (traditional English)
Lark in the morning (traditional English)
Greensleeves (very traditional English)
Black is the colo(u)r of my True Love's hair (Traditional Scots)
It fell about the Lammas tide (traditional Scots)
Leasy Lindsay (traditional Scots)
Laird of Rosslyn's daughter (traditional Scots)
Proud Margaret (traditional - not sure what)
Shoals of Herring (fishing song)
Murder in the Red Barn (Victorian melodrama)
Lazlo Fehar (Romanian melodrama)
Finnegan's Wake (traditional Irish)
Kilgarry Mountain AKA Whiskey in the jar (traditional Irish)
Brennan on the moor (traditional Irish)
Rising of the moon (traditional Irish)
Spancil Hill (Irish American)
Ranter's Wharf (American?)
House of the Rising Sun (American)
The Alamo (American)
Ghost Riders in the sky (Frankie Laine?)
Ruby Tuesday (Rolling Stones)
Don't think twice, it's alright (Robert Zimmerframe)
Love minus zero, no limit (Robert Zimmerframe)
Masters of war (Robert Zimmerframe)
I am a rock (Simon & Garfunkel)
Sound of silence (Simon & Garfunkel)
Caledonia (Dougie McLaine)
Streets of London (Ralph McTell)
Green fields of France (last 30 years - but forget who wrote it!)
Where have all the flowers gone? (traditional)
Montague John (Ray Bradfield, local songwriter - about Jack the Ripper)
Blow blow thou winter wind (Shakespeare's words, Nick Richardson music)
Under the greenwood tree (Shakespeare's words, Nick Richardson music)
How high is the sky? (a poor thing, but mine own)
The mourning morning mist (a poor thing, but mine own)

That's about 37 - there are others I used to do (and about 2 others I've written), but I'd have to look them up. Don't expect you've heard of a lot of them :mrgreen:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Nice set list, Jerry.

"Green Fields of France" is actually titled "No Man's Land", it's an Eric Bogle song.

"Where have all the Flowers Gone" is Pete Seeger's

:D

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool... How the heck do you remember 37? I can't remember where I put my glasses. Sure would like to hear ya play Cryo...

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
Cool... How the heck do you remember 37? I can't remember where I put my glasses. Sure would like to hear ya play Cryo...

Be careful what you hope for - it might come true :shock:

Thought of a few more songs I do - a great finishing song when asked to play the last song of the night is 'Parting Glass' (Irish Traditional) - another Irish song I do sometimes is 'Juice of the barley', then there was also 'I'm a rambler, I'm a gambler' all about Irish moonshine that I haven't done for a year or so, and 'Fiddlers Green' (by John Conolley). Used to do several more but have'nt done them for years. (Forgot to mention '17 come Sunday' and 'Cuckoo's nest' - both a bit naughty :twisted: )

Anyway - seem to remember there were 30 something in your set you just played :) Gonna play a different 30 for the next session :?: :mrgreen:

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice playlist, Jerry. Some I know (plus maybe some others under different titles). I used to play several trad English/Scottish/Irish songs, but recently I've drifted into a more modern repertoire (Cockburn, Stan & Garnet Rogers, John Martyn etc).

cheers
R

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
cjd-player said:
Noticed that you were not the one on the list that "the girlies love" :lol:

I've had my moments - but that was 30 or so years ago :roll:

Last night was Spotlight Night at Folk at the Oak - went prepared to do a couple of songs - had a request to do another instead and when I stood up on the stage - had yet another special request from the audience (not the usual 'get off') for a song I hadn't done for months. Dried up halfway through that song (oh the shame :oops: ), but got the other special request done. Got one of the prepared songs done in the second half :wink:

cjd-player

Reaction score
JerryR said:
cjd-player said:
Noticed that you were not the one on the list that "the girlies love" :lol:

Last night was Spotlight Night at Folk at the Oak - went prepared to do a couple of songs - had a request to do another instead and when I stood up on the stage - had yet another special request from the audience (not the usual 'get off') for a song I hadn't done for months. Dried up halfway through that song (oh the shame :oops: ), but got the other special request done. Got one of the prepared songs done in the second half :wink:

:?: Jerry, I thought you played guitar while you sang :? :?
freak-singer.jpg

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
cjd-player said:
JerryR said:
[quote="cjd-player":2bdda]Noticed that you were not the one on the list that "the girlies love" :lol:

freak-singer.jpg
[/quote:2bdda]

You're killin' me lately Carl. :mrgreen:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
cjd-player said:
JerryR said:
[quote="cjd-player":20274]Noticed that you were not the one on the list that "the girlies love" :lol:

freak-singer.jpg
[/quote:20274]

Usually - but there is a folk tradition called 'unaccompanied singing' - and it is 'the done thing' to wear traditional folkie type clothes when doing it - as in the picture. However, when singing with the guitar, I dress for comfort....

clothesfree28.jpg

:mrgreen:

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Unaccompanied playing will grow hair on your palms.
And that guy could've gotten along with a shortscale bass.
When he sells it, is he gonna claim the stains are "buckle rash"?

cjd-player

Reaction score
Graham said:
You're killin' me lately Carl. :mrgreen:

As I'm sure you know, Graham, some of the things that pop up on an otherwise innocent Google Image search are ... well ... unique.

I've started saving some for those "right moments" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Its all your fault. I want to be just like you when I grow up. :shock: