Amp shipping cost

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Got a fair deal cooking on selling my Aspen, probaby weighs close to 50 lbs, more when crated.

Any experience/advice regarding shipping, shippers & prices would be appreciated.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Jeff - others have shipped many more than I have. My only suggestion would be, since you're such a competent guy with a piece of wood, that you built a light rigid external crate to fit into a stout cardboard box and pad the amp into it. Take any structural stress off the cabinet (although those dovetailed joints in solid wood will surely be very strong), and give some separation of the surfaces from the inevitable whacks to the carboard and frame. Shouldn't add more than a pound or two?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks John,

I have some left over sheets of 2" foam insulaton taking up space in the garage rafters & kind of a vague crate idea brewing incorporating the foam sheets, cardboard & light wood bracing. May stop off at the local shop & take a look in their dumpster, gotta be Johnny on the spot, they flatten or crush most all their boxes daily.

I inquired at the Post Office this morning reference shipping & got the impression a package this big & heavy isn't SOP for the US Postal service.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
I inquired at the Post Office this morning ... & got the impression a package this big & heavy isn't SOP for the US Postal service.
It isn't but their track record for us isn't much diferent than UPS. Woulda suggested separating the amp chassis from the cabinet but your amp doesn't lend itself to that very well. Consider a sheet of 1/4" plywood or similar to protect the speakers, making sure there's padding for the corners, and double-boxing.

USPS recommends 4" of outer wall deflection all the way around ... Their idea is that the shipper go to extraordinary lengths to insulate the package from USPS risk; this is the same as saying: 'we don't do so good' - .... I personally think they should be believed. Love ya default ... :wink:

dklsplace

Reaction score
Well you know my take on that capn.....I'd go USPS every time over the others if shipping inside the US. Too many damage claims with the other guys & never a one with our Cliff's.

Jeff, I don't recall my G-500 being more than 30-35 lbs when boxed. Shipped it out for somewhere around $35.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dklsplace said:
Well you know my take on that capn.....I'd go USPS every time over the others if shipping inside the US. Too many damage claims with the other guys & never a one with our Cliff's. Jeff, I don't recall my G-500 being more than 30-35 lbs when boxed. Shipped it out for somewhere around $35.
Hi Donnie; I know how you feel about UPS ( :evil: ) Only saying that best outcome is determined by compensating for shipper's (whoever they are) general lack of interest in your stuff. I shipped three guitars this winter with USPS; all good results. My bad luck with them has been with amps.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Jeff said:
I inquired at the Post Office this morning ... & got the impression a package this big & heavy isn't SOP for the US Postal service.
It isn't but their track record for us isn't much diferent than UPS. Woulda suggested separating the amp chassis from the cabinet but your amp doesn't lend itself to that very well. Consider a sheet of 1/4" plywood or similar to protect the speakers, making sure there's padding for the corners, and double-boxing.

USPS recommends 4" of outer wall deflection all the way around ... Their idea is that the shipper go to extraordinary lengths to insulate the package from USPS risk; this is the same as saying: 'we don't do so good' - .... I personally think they should be believed. Love ya default ... :wink:

It's more, "we have no intention of paying a damage claim". The last amp I shipped I double boxed and used heavy styrofoam to fill the voids in the boxes. Don't use packing peanuts. I'd use that insulation and duct tape it around the amp.
Personally, I think folks have better results because packages are still an afterthought for us....

BluesDan

Reaction score
Jeff, I just received a G-600 Aspen from the West Coast, separate box for footswitch and amp stand, two boxes clear cross country for 46 bucks, amp weighed in at around 38 pounds packaged well, second box under 10 pounds. Fed-Ex.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
If you're gonna box the chassis separately, be sure to bubble wrap it with the big bubble kind.