Brickhouse Brewery

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Unless anyone objects, I'll post about some of the open mic places I've played because I think several of you would enjoy a few of them. I've been very lucky in that all the places I've played so far have been cool. No horrific experiences. Good people everywhere.

This place is in Patchogue, NY. Played there a bunch of times early this year and mentioned some of this another thread. Got back there last night for the first time since Feb. Brought a Tele Thinline (72 RI), and had a blast. I hadn't played electric guitar at all for weeks and this was the first time ever live, so I was good & rusty. Played with a bassist and drummer, and had a blast. 2 originals... and Dead Flowers with the host playing lead guitar on that. Totally threw me off when he started on the solo towards the end (I blow through that when I play it solo acoustic) so I screwed that up pretty good by getting lost, but the rest of it sounded cool and was fun. It's amazing when real good talent is willing to play down to the likes of my level. This place is so comfortable- they make everyone that comes in sound incredible. Had a friend with me who has played for years... he was fantastic, and I could tell the band loved jamming with him.

If you're ever in Suffolk County (Long Island) on a Tuesday night, go play a few tunes. The food is good, service at the bar is excellent and I've never ran into an unkind person in there. Blues Dan, if you read this, I may go back on 4/22. Probably will take a Tele again... it sounded incredible through a Tubescreamer and the host's AC30.

I love rock 'n' roll.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Very cool, you young fungus, you!

Open mics (as a rule) are terrific places to hone your skills, get over stagefright, break in new material, and make some marevelous friends! In other words, they are FUN!
Thanks for posting the encouragement!!

If you and BluesDan do get there together - PLEASE take a video camera!

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks everyone! I'll post about some other places during the next few days.

The Guilds of Grot said:
Must be a pretty long haul for you! What's your travel time?

You're right, Grot. It's about 3- 4 hours depending on the time of day. I wouldn't go all the way out there from PA, but I'm often in Nassau County for work so it's very convenient then.

I travel a lot for work, but there's also some cool options near where I live. So far this year I've hit open mics in 4 different states. I'm starting to feel more comfortable, but I'll probably never be anything more than a sloppy/mediocre player... and I'm fine with that as long as it remains fun.

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Scratch said:
Can't wait to see the pics fungusmeister! :mrgreen:

Ironically, someone there was taking photos last week....

l_fa3e9fa43cd4b9014b067b4d30678b2e.jpg

l_d31be897134d66c96bf639c74a167044.jpg

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice Pics Fungus, I can almost hear the roar of the crowd. 8)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Great shots Fungustsus.....whatcha doin' with that Fender? Although I guess Fender and Guild are related. What kind of music do you guys do?

West

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
It's sloppy rock 'n' roll when I plug in, West. The songs/long term record I'm working on will be a mixture of raucous rock, pop rock and probably some folky & alt-country-ish sounding stuff. Then again, you guys might listen and say it's all crap!

I've only played out with an electric 3 times now (a fourth is coming up on Tuesday), and it's a gas gas gas. That said, playing acoustic keeps me as sharp as I can be... which isn't too sharp at all, but it's all about having fun. I might play a very cool local solo acoustic open mic tomorrow. Working on a bunch of newer songs so it's great to play them live in both formats.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
....whatcha doin' with that Fender? Although I guess Fender and Guild are related.... West
Easier to 'forgive' the Teles than it is the two LPs also listed in his siggie ... :evil: :lol: Did the GA5 show up yet Fungii?

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
The Les Pauls are a Special and a Junior... but I won't fret if that gets me no forgiveness! Pick up the GA5 on my way to NY on Monday night. I'll hopefully have a chance to fire it up a bit on Tuesday before we go out and play... it will depend on how much time I have. Also just traded another guitar for a newer Gibson GA5 reissue, which I should get in about a week or so. I'll keep ya posted, good Cap'n!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The new RI GA5s are all EL84, no? Look forward to an A/B review. For Geezer-related reasons, you are encouraged to make allowances for the vintage model ... maybe rest it on pillow ... offer it some caffeine-free coffee :wink:

CJ

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
I believe that's right. They were blowing them out a while back for $300, but I missed out so I traded a Tele partscaster for it. I've heard great things about them, but I expect it to be quite different and not nearly the amp that the '60 will be. But, I'm sort of open minded :lol:. Might end up with some mods down the road... who knows.