Your first gig!

thevisitor

Reaction score
Lets see what everyone's first gig was and what they played, shall we?
My first gig was at one of the many local festivals in a town near me when I was 13. My uncle was rhythm, I was playing lead, dad was playing drums, and my cousin was playing drums. We opened up with The Allman Brother's "Statesboro Blues", then did some harmony playing on Skynard's "I Need You", Then we played "Stairway to Heaven" (in which he gave me the spotlight), "Free Bird" (which I think we took alot farther than it had to go trading licks). After that, I gave lead honors to him for David Lee Roth's "Yankee Rose" and SRV's "Texas Flood". Then we all got 'coustics and did "All Outta Love", "You Don't Know What It's Like", and "Seven Bridges Road". The last thing I did before walking offstage was turned my distortion way up on my Ibanez and played "The Star Spangled Banner". It was great. As a matter of fact, that was my only gig so far. It was a doozy though, and I was nervous, but as soon as I did that first slide from 5 to 7, it was awesome.

boone

Reaction score
I try to keep the experience suppressed. It's only mentioned during therapy.
We played red house, dock of the bay, and then to everybody's suprise we
performed a rousing rendition of karme chamelion?? We went from Jimi Hendrix
to Boy George, what the hell were we thinking!

I think even mentioning Jimi Hendrix in the same sentence is a crime in most states.

I was only 16
I wasn't very smart
I'm sorry

boone

thevisitor

Reaction score
boone said:
I try to keep the experience suppressed. It's only mentioned during therapy.
We played red house, dock of the bay, and then to everybody's suprise we
performed a rousing rendition of karme chamelion?? We went from Jimi Hendrix
to Boy George, what the hell were we thinking!

I think even mentioning Jimi Hendrix in the same sentence is a crime in most states.

I was only 16
I wasn't very smart
I'm sorry

boone

That's OK. My wife's actually a Culture Club fan, so she smiled when I told her that. Sounds like a cool gig though!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I think I opened with "I'd Like To Change The World" followed by Tiny Tim's, "Tiptoe Through The Tulips".

West

thevisitor

Reaction score
Cool. Good songs. I'm trying to get a sort of country/rock/folk thing going right now.
I smell a veer coming on :wink:

danerectal

Reaction score
The first show I ever played was in a band called Neighborhood Watch. We played in a church sponsored battle of the bands and actually played half original songs. The other half were Nirvana songs and other silly covers. We had worked up the Star Spangled Banner as well, but I had to quit halfway through out of being lost, luckily we didn't call the whole thing off. We didn't have a drummer or a bassist, just two electric guitars. We tried Hey Joe, Heart-Shaped Box, Sweet Dreams and I think even some Lenny Kravitz. I don't really know what possessed us to go through with it, especially considering the set list, but we did. We wound up taking 3rd behind two bands with small time albums put together. We didn't know what we were doing and judging by the response, neither did the crowd. We eventually played the Horse Fest a couple of times and even got to play during class hours at our high school during homecoming week (one time we had to circulate a petition among the student body). What fun it was to have no inhibitions... :mrgreen:

dklsplace

Reaction score
I think it was a dance at the junior high school. Couldn't tell you what songs specifically, but we were together all through school & played a lot of Beatles, Stones, The Who, T-Rex etc.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
I joined an existing Folk band - initially as a singer - some 30 years ago (tried to learn some guitar chords to do solos in a club as well - still trying) - we used to be the 'in house' band in a pub in Bath every Sunday - can't remember what I sang first :? Before that I had sung on stage many times - in plays and also in a year long dinner theatre (actually got paid for that) :D

thevisitor

Reaction score
dklsplace said:
I think it was a dance at the junior high school. Couldn't tell you what songs specifically, but we were together all through school & played a lot of Beatles, Stones, The Who, T-Rex etc.

Sounds like an awesome show! Those are some great bands! :mrgreen:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Playing the theme from "The Addams Family" on baritone horn at a talent show at a local museum. I was about 10 or so. The first paid gig I recall was playing tuba at a county fair in high school. Since some smart aleck is going to ask what this has to do with Guilds, the first bass gig that I recall was accompanying a college vocal group. That was done with the JS II. If we ask the question again, we may want to distinguish between a gig and an unpaid public performance :)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Seriously, my first public performance was at a small bar in Kilgore. The guy that taught me played there and he and I both were about 19, around '75 or '76. All I can remember is that I was horrified as he asked me to play a song while he took a break, I think I played a couple. James, who now lives in Stephenville, southwest of Ft. Worth, and I managed to play a class reunion party last year. Incredible night it was.

Didn't play again in public, except around family members, until a couple of years ago. That's documented around here somewhere. And the most fun I've ever had while playing in public....well that's a no-brainer, LTG Convention last year. :D

West

thevisitor

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Seriously, my first public performance was at a small bar in Kilgore. the guy that taught me played there and he and I both were about 19, around '75 or '76. All I can remember is that I was horrified as he asked me to play a song while he took a break, I think I played a couple.

Didn't play again in public, except around family members, until a couple of years ago. That's documented around here somewhere. And the most fun I've ever had while playing in public....well that's a no-brainer, LTG Convention last year. :D

West

I wish I could make it this year. Next year though, I'll be there. Hopefully with a Guild instead or the Madeira or Ibanez... :D

cjd-player

Reaction score
My first public performance was with my grandfather. I was probably 13 or 14.
My grandfather played a Hawaiian lap steel - when he was younger he played a live 30 minute show every week on KDKA radio in Pittsburgh with my uncle providing rhythm accompanyment on an archtop.
When my uncle died in his early 40's, I learned to accompany my grandfather on those Hawaiian songs:
Hilo March
Song of the Islands
Kohala March (boy, this is bringing back memories, but I can't remember all of the titles. :cry: )
Hawaiian Wedding Song (I think we did that at every one of my 12 cousin's weddings)

No radio gigs, but we did the local bars that my grandfather patronized (they snuck me in), old folks homes, the Elks Clubs, etc.

Then nothing public 'till I started playing in church about 10 years ago.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Carl, you need to get together with Hoboken up there. I think he lives a bit east of you, but you two would definately hit it off.

West

thevisitor

Reaction score
I need to find a gig. I miss the feeling of being up there doing my thing. Maybe the '09 LTG meeting? :mrgreen:

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
It was the mid '60s at a tiny coffee house in Chicago's Old Town, I don't remember the name anymore, though it may have been The Loft. The place was run by Ira Rogers, of the folk music/poetry/review team Inman and Ira. It was the only place my friend Jim and I could get into legally since they didn't serve alcohol. Jim and I did all the usual stuff for the time -- Phil Ochs, Tom Paxton, Gordon Lightfoot, etc. Those were the days when you'd just grab yoru guitars and start playing on the street. One time during a break we were playing in the stairway (too cold to be outside) and they asked us if we'd like to sit in the following week as an opening act. No pay, but no cover and free spiced cider. The name that I do remember is they guy we opened for -- John Düsseldorf. Later on he replaced Chad Mitchell in the Mitchell Trio, and then had a nice career on his own as John Denver. We were a couple of high school kids and tried to play it cool, but I think we were probably scared sh---less! Couldn't have been too bad though, they asked us back. Not sure if it was because we were any good, or because we'd work for free.

thevisitor

Reaction score
california said:
It was the mid '60s at a tiny coffee house in Chicago's Old Town, I don't remember the name anymore, though it may have been The Loft. The place was run by Ira Rogers, of the folk music/poetry/review team Inman and Ira. It was the only place my friend Jim and I could get into legally since they didn't serve alcohol. Jim and I did all the usual stuff for the time -- Phil Ochs, Tom Paxton, Gordon Lightfoot, etc. Those were the days when you'd just grab yoru guitars and start playing on the street. One time during a break we were playing in the stairway (too cold to be outside) and they asked us if we'd like to sit in the following week as an opening act. No pay, but no cover and free spiced cider. The name that I do remember is they guy we opened for -- John Düsseldorf. Later on he replaced Chad Mitchell in the Mitchell Trio, and then had a nice career on his own as John Denver. We were a couple of high school kids and tried to play it cool, but I think we were probably scared sh---less! Couldn't have been too bad though, they asked us back. Not sure if it was because we were any good, or because we'd work for free.

WOW! You opened for John Denver?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
thevisitor said:
california said:

WOW! You opened for John Denver?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Didn't know it at the time.....

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
thevisitor said:
I need to find a gig. I miss the feeling of being up there doing my thing. Maybe the '09 LTG meeting? :mrgreen:

Prolly have a couple gigs near Buffalo, NY later this year, & I can always use another aspiring guitarist.........vocals a plus! We primarily use acoustic gits and small 15-20 watt amps, plus I now have a Fender PD150 PA system for vocals.
We cannot accept pay (due to pension restrictions), but We generally drink (free) imported beer, and lot's of (free) grill offerings. Anyhoo, We're well fed, and appreciated; so "two out of three ain't bad!" :lol: :lol: :lol: