Did M-80s come with floral carvings Stock?

Jahn

Reaction score
http://www.maindragmusic.com/guitars.html

Scroll down and check that puppy out. Hans, a lil help with this one?

75guildm80custom.JPG

"1975 Guild M-80 RARE!!!! Factory carved in floral pattern."

Horuss

Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
Doesn't Hans have one like this?
Hans has posted a picture of an amazing S-90 with floral carvings.

The Gbase listing of this M-80 has slightly different wording: "Factory carved in floral pattern not seen in this particular model as an option."

I really, really wish the picture was better. I can't see anything.

Hans, school us!

danerectal

Reaction score
I remember seeing this one (or possibly one like it?) before. I don't remember the verdict as to the carvings' authenticity. I can't even find the thread in the search... :?

Horuss

Reaction score
Aww- I looked at this site again and somebody bought the M-80. I'm going to be in NYC and I wanted to go look at it.
:(

Jahn

Reaction score
grr i was just there last week and wanted to play it too - it was gone daddy gone.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hansmoust said:
The tailpiece moved closer to the bridge around 1976 (page 159 of The Guild Guitar Book)

Hi Folks,

Sixstrings just contacted me about the tailpiece on the M-80 with the floral carving, which was closer to the bridge even though the guitar is from 1975.
When I was doing the research for The Guild Guitar Book I had only seen a limited amount of solid body M-75s and M-80s and at that point the ones from 1975 had the tailpiece further away from the bridge and the tailpieces on the ones from 1976 were closer to the bridge. It was safe to assume that the change took place during that period, so I mentioned 'around 1976' in the book.
Since then I've seen quite a few more of these instruments and it turns out the tailpiece on these guitars was moved closer to the bridge during the second half of 1975, just as it did on the S-100s ( see page 161 of The Guild Guitar Book). So, now we know that the change took place at approximately the same time on the S-100 as on the M-75 Solid body and the M-80CS, which obviously makes sense from a manufacturer's standpoint.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

sixstring

Reaction score
Hello. I just wanted to thank you for clearing that up for me.That also explains why I have seen so few guitars exactly like mine, being they were only made like that the first half of the year. :D

adam79

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
hansmoust said:
The tailpiece moved closer to the bridge around 1976 (page 159 of The Guild Guitar Book)

When I was doing the research for The Guild Guitar Book I had only seen a limited amount of solid body M-75s and M-80s and at that point the ones from 1975 had the tailpiece further away from the bridge and the tailpieces on the ones from 1976 were closer to the bridge.
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

what would be the advantage in having the tailpiece further from the bridge? Is it so you can strum the strings in-between easier, or is it more of a technical matter?

Thanks,
-Adam

danerectal

Reaction score
adam79 said:
what would be the advantage in having the tailpiece further from the bridge? Is it so you can strum the strings in-between easier, or is it more of a technical matter?

Thanks,
-Adam

The harp effect may be my favorite part, but I'd say the true advantage is the reduced string tension (though advantage may not be everybody's way of looking at it).