New guy needs Guild Starfire Help

Reaction score
Hello. I just found this site while doing some research on my Bass and thought someone here might be able to help me. Way back in 1979 or 80 when I was in high school I bought this Guild Starfire bass and Traynor amp for $150. It's the only bass I've owned over all these years and it's traveled around the world with me in the Air Force. I also taught one of my sons to play with it. I finally decided I wanted to learn more about it other than the basic name so I just started doing some research on it. I believe it is a Starfire I from the 60's but nothing else. I would like to know what year it was made and how this bass rates quality wise. I am also curious what it's value is. I don't plan on selling it and expect to eventually pass it on to my son.

Here are some pictures of the bass:

GuildandAmp.jpg

GuildandCase.jpg

GuildHead.jpg

GuildKnob1.jpg

GuildPickup.jpg

GuildSticker.jpg

Unfortunately the label was tore up when I got it. I have found a couple pictures of 67s that look like mine, but not sure what other years may have had this same design. The bass and amp both still sound great.

Any help with info on the bass or amp would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is there a serial number on the headstock? The mighty Hans will be able to tell you when it was made.
There is going to be some serious bass envy around here when the regular bass players check in.
Lovely green finish, Hagstrom pickup... Very nice instrument, Fropa!
<drool>
Welcome to the forum, BTW!

Qualitywise, Guild bows to no one, if it was a Harmony, well.....

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fropa said:
Hello. I just found this site while doing some research on my Bass and thought someone here might be able to help me. Way back in 1979 or 80 when I was in high school I bought this Guild Starfire bass and Traynor amp for $150. It's the only bass I've owned over all these years and it's traveled around the world with me in the Air Force. I also taught one of my sons to play with it. I finally decided I wanted to learn more about it other than the basic name so I just started doing some research on it. I believe it is a Starfire I from the 60's but nothing else. I would like to know what year it was made and how this bass rates quality wise.

Hello Fropa,

Welcome! You have a cool bass! It's from the '66-'67 period but if you give me the serial number I may be able to date it a little more precise.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Your should be able to get a gig in any Irish band, Fropa!

Welcome aboard.
Post well. Post often.

P.S. - What else can you tell us about the amplifier? Is it '60's vintage, too?

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Beautiful as usual, Grot!

I'm noticing the wooden bridges on Fropa's and it looks like they're on the eBay example, too. Doesn't look that's how yours is set up, though. Which would be original?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

Nice bass. As others have told you there should be a serial number on the back of the headstock. I'd expect it to be BA-XXX or BA-XXXX and might even go so far as to guess less than BA-1472. When you have the number, there are several sites that will match that with a date. One such site is here.

Everything in your pictures is consistent with a Starfire (or Starfire I) from the earlier part of 1967. (They didn't call it a Starfire I until they made a two pickup model). The location of the pickup makes it a '67 rather than earlier and the shape of the bridge changed from what you have with the straight top to a more curved top during 1967. You have what appears to be the original, and highly sought after Bi-sonic pickup. Case doesn't look too shabby either.

The green finish is relatively rare and is highly sought after. The damage on the headstock will downgrade value and the absence of a picture of back raises the possibility of buckle rash, but on the whole it looks pretty desirable. The eBay record for a SF since I have been watching was about $3550 for the bass below. (It is a '67 but has the curved bridge and so I would guess is newer that yours).

BA-1662.jpg

Chicago Music Exchange lists three Starfires here. Last time I asked the quoted prices were on the order of $4500. Anyway, that's what the high end looks like.

On the low end, you could get about $1000 by parting it out, although if you even suggested you'd do that, the Guild Mounties would soon arrive at your door and make you an offer you didn't want to refuse, or be parted out yourself 8) . The case would bring about $200, the pickup about $500, the remaining electronics about $100 and the bridge about $100.

Right now, I'd expect a '67 SF I in good or better condition to go for $2000-$2300 on eBay, with case. The green might raise that as high as $2500.

Anyway, you have my opinion on prices. It might be wrong.

As for quality most people who want them consider them well made and desirable basses. The bridge and saddle design can be problematic but it it has held up for 40 years.

I was doing some research on bridges. You can see some pictures I collected here. Note that there is one '66 and one '68 and everything else is a '67.

And finally, my '67.

200%26_09_05_Guild%20007.jpg

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guildmark said:
I'm noticing the wooden bridges on Fropa's and it looks like they're on the eBay example, too. Doesn't look that's how yours is set up, though. Which would be original?
Good eyes Guildmark!

Yes my bass has replacement aluminum bridge saddles. :cry: :oops:

Would (no pun intended) like to replace them some day.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Guildmark said:
Beautiful as usual, Grot!

Wooden bridge saddles were original on my '67 and '72 and almost every bass I have seen that is '67 or later. Since Grot's is a '66 it could be that they didn't standardize on the wood until '67 or Grot's just might not be original.

Edit: and he just posted that they are replacements.

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
That is beautiful!!! Im restoring a 1967 SII and I want to do it in green. I have stripped about 12 - 16 oz of red paint off this bad girl and I believe the previous owner used red paint to fill in the over sanded edges. Im at a point where I have all the pieces and I have to start replacing the sanded thru mahog veneer. Its the ultimate jigsaw puzzle.
The green is pretty rare from what Ive heard. I just like the green look . Burst is ok and there are too many red ones in the world. Yours looks like maple so Im having to test the green on mahog.
Thanx for posting , Im re-inspired.M
IMGP0311.jpg

IMGP0320.jpg

Frono , love those pics of the SF bass's. keeps me motivated.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hans and others ,

Since I have often debated how green is green, when talking about early Starfire basses, I note that this one is much more like the color I remember. Since we decided that the color was darker based upon the underlying wood, what does this suggest Fropa's bass is made of?

Thanks.

(My memory is fading and it is more fun to ask and raise the post counts).

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Fropa and welcome! the Hans / Grot / 'Frono Guild bass braintrust has spoken ... and a mighty fine-looking bass it is ... what it is about green Guilds? In any event, welcome to LTG! John

shadowcastaz

Reaction score
I can only assume the one here is maple . I have not had the time or the stones to try the green on mahog yet. Im still sweating the red pigment too. I may go yellow , then a light green and try to keep it lighter. The mahog is real nice except where I have to patch. I could always paint it black if I screw it up!!!(NNNNNOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo................)

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
The Guilds of Grot said:
Man is this thread all out of order!

Hey, at least I edited the worst of my sequence errors rather than repost. :wink:

What impresses me is that we have a whole page with no significant thread veer, presuming that talk about green basses, inspired by one, isn't too far off topic.