Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp

danerectal

Reaction score
I just picked up one of these for $150 at the music store I used to work at. They wanted $195, but one of the legs on a tube was broken off so it didn't work (the tube that is). It has monstrous breakup and amazing blues tone. It's not the later version with the 6V6 power tubes, it uses two 6AQ5A tubes and a 12AX7A. I've only seen this combination on a Gibson amp; and worse yet, there are no new tubes being made to replace the broken one. I've found a few NOS on eBay and elsewhere on the internet, but I'm wondering if there is a suitable substitution that is still in production. Anybody know?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dane:

1. 6AQ5 Substitution: Duncan Amps Tube Data Sheet Locator; you can substitute a 6005 for the 6AQ5 Check Here
2. 6005 Technical Data
3. 6005: The Tube Store, $8.95 or Tube Depot $7.95

The Gibson GA5T 'Crest' model uses the 6AQ5/6005; I tried both in the amp. Just because of the similarity in numbering, the 6AQ5 has no relationship at all to the 6BQ5/EL84 ... and no, not sure what's necessary to covert 6AQ5/6005 operation to 6BQ5/EL84. Good luck w/ your project! John

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hard to beat eight or nine bucks a tube. Supply ought to be pretty good, so you should be in good shape for a long time.
Wiki.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
....so you should be in good shape for a long time. Wiki.
... and - after replacing the tube socket - having an operating amp up and running would allow some time for some planning / re-engineering for 6BQ5/EL84s, or at least finding out if it's possible.

Edit: After reading in default's Wiki Link and back-checking at Duncan amps; the 6AQ5, except for it's base, has more in common w/ the 6V6 that the 6BQ5/EL84...interesting....

From http://www.ampwares.com/ Pics and specs on the MusicMaster; your amp look like this?:

fendermusicmaster.jpg

Even though specs say either 6AQ5s or 6V6s, the linked schematic indicates 6L6s; oh that Walt at Ampwares ... full of unexpected surprises.....

danerectal

Reaction score
I'd rather not mod any of the sockets, unless 6AQ5A tubes become super scarce. I really like the sound, it's way dirtier than my Princeton Reverb. Finally I have a use for my EH Switchblade. :mrgreen:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
danerectal said:
I'd rather not mod any of the sockets, unless 6AQ5A tubes become super scarce....
Understood; without calling one of the major sources, hard to know how deep the inventory is for the 6AQ5 and it's near-relation the 6005. Is that your amp and its specs in the pic above?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
danerectal said:
I'd rather not mod any of the sockets, unless 6AQ5A tubes become super scarce. :mrgreen:

From the price, I'd guess that the supply is pretty big and the demand is minimal.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Great score dano. That's a great sounding bass amp. I really like the Fender Dual Showmans for bass.

danerectal

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
danerectal said:
I'd rather not mod any of the sockets, unless 6AQ5A tubes become super scarce....
Understood; without calling one of the major sources, hard to know how deep the inventory is for the 6AQ5 and it's near-relation the 6005. Is that your amp and its specs in the pic above?

Mine is the 2x6AQ5A with silver skirted black center with "F" logo pointer knobs and the power switch built into the volume control. I don't know much about the speaker, it has the square back like the ones in the pictures. The screen printed text says "Musicmaster Bass Amp" instead of just "Musicmaster Amp" and the Fender logo has the tail, so I'm guessing it's one of the earlier examples.

jp said:
Great score dano. That's a great sounding bass amp. I really like the Fender Dual Showmans for bass.

I haven't even tried a bass through it, but I think my best impression would come with both power tubes installed.