Requested Pics of my 1959 MasterAmp

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Doing fine CoffeMeister! Depending on which photohost your'e using, some give you a 'resize' function; the most useful sizes are 640 X 480 which is plenty big and 320 X 240 for generic, 'this is what it looks like' at a distance - for recognition and orientation. If your camera has a close up setting, use it if you're real close; things can look clear in the lens but come out fuzzy; just because your pointing at the subject, doesn't mean it captures what you see. Ex; the lettering on the control panel is fuzzy, not crabbbing, but just pointing out a shortcoming of many digital cameras (and operators - like mine and me).

Thanks for the pics; appears nearly original in every respect; nice to see that Guild began with turret/tag-board construction - Fender and others stuck with it; Guild later when to 'wiring strips' flying parts in between. Speculating, musta been some mfrg economics involved. Consider a 2nd round of pics and posting; if you get better sizing and post results, can always dump these above. Thanks again, really cool-looking amp; hope it sounds as good as it looks! John

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
That amp is bigger than I thought. :shock:

amp1.gif

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: J

cawfeereglah

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Doing fine CoffeMeister! Depending on which photohost your'e using, some give you a 'resize' function; the most useful sizes are 640 X 480 which is plenty big and 320 X 240 for generic, 'this is what it looks like' at a distance - for recognition and orientation. If your camera has a close up setting, use it if you're real close; things can look clear in the lens but come out fuzzy; just because your pointing at the subject, doesn't mean it captures what you see. Ex; the lettering on the control panel is fuzzy, not crabbbing, but just pointing out a shortcoming of many digital cameras (and operators - like mine and me).

Thanks for the pics; appears nearly original in every respect; nice to see that Guild began with turret/tag-board construction - Fender and others stuck with it; Guild later when to 'wiring strips' flying parts in between. Speculating, musta been some mfrg economics involved. Consider a 2nd round of pics and posting; if you get better sizing and post results, can always dump these above. Thanks again, really cool-looking amp; hope it sounds as good as it looks! John

Yeah, I'll get this down. I've got at least two challenges: new mac convert from life-long PC use and my chosen photo host doesn't seem to be real user-friendly. It does NOT give me resizing options, so I have to handle that on my end first. Might look around for another hosting option. Re: fuzzy photos... just turned 49 and seems like what looks like a solid shot on the camera ain't quite up to snuff when I get it on the computer. I will repost some better stuff... promise.

It is a sweet little amp. My veteran tech says he's never seen one before, so I guess it's fairly rare. Without any reverb or presense features, it's surprisingly fat and round sounding. I like that it offers multiple inputs, something you don't get on most comparable Fenders. I'm a little spoiled with it. I try other stuff out at Guitar Center and Sam Ash... not interested. One complaint (and maybe you have a clue): occasional interference. It's not often, but believe it or not, I've turned it on and gotten a faint radio signal. Wierd. Might have had something to do with crossed guitar cables -- or my Franz detecting a nearby UFO. I dunno.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
cawfeereglah said:
.... I will repost some better stuff... promise.
Often goes better with the help of a teenager ... better than getting your lawn cut for example.

cawfeereglah said:
It is a sweet little amp....One complaint (and maybe you have a clue): occasional interference. It's not often, but believe it or not, I've turned it on and gotten a faint radio signal. Wierd. Might have had something to do with crossed guitar cables -- or my Franz detecting a nearby UFO. I dunno.
Yes, UFO is a good guess, local stations exceeding their rated/licensed FCC output ... or can convert unit to am/fm receiver ......... :wink:

You also might consider getting your tech to install short lengths of shielded cable from the input jacks to the first tube .... 2-wire original cord? Can also act like an antenna ... he can do if you don't want to mess with it; $20-odd dollars in cord/strain relief bushing parts, 1 hour bench time.

Thanks again for the pics; mighty fine amp! John

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
cawfeereglah said:
One complaint (and maybe you have a clue): occasional interference. It's not often, but believe it or not, I've turned it on and gotten a faint radio signal. Wierd. Might have had something to do with crossed guitar cables -- or my Franz detecting a nearby UFO. I dunno.

I find that I have that problem when I wear a tin foil hat. Keep picking up Garner Ted Armstrong.

Don't fear the UFO......... took a trip on the mothership recently (no, didn't make a stop at Jamaica), and here's what the crew looked like, lined up for morning inspection................

Miss_Reef_Costa_Rica06_1Gal-1.jpg

Very cool little amp. too, by the way. Great visual style.

cawfeereglah

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
2-wire original cord? Can also act like an antenna.

Actually, I replaced the lamp cord myself with a heavy three-prong job and wondered if I caused the problem when I did it. My tech has re-capped it since then and didn't see any problems with my boy scout soldiering. I like the shielded wire idea. I'll bring it up with him. Thanks.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
CURSES !!

Now I'm a little intrigued about these things !

Good press at Harmony Central for these.

Could someone give me a quick overview please.............. period of production, visual changes over that period, what one might expect to pay, things to beware of, questions to ask ?

cawfeereglah

Reaction score

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think the guy from Carr amps agrees with me that that is one of the best looking 1X12 designs for a combo ever.

Carr Rambler :
ram1x12front_sm.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
cawfeereglah said:
I've seen them on eBay going for $600-$800 depending on the condition (and how crazy the bidding gets.) But I haven't seen one in several months. This one wasn't working and went for $500:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-Masteramp...ryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Coastie and Coffee: the amp above was threaded Here Yup, not working, thought to be a dual mono/stereo model. these older-model 66Js, 98RTs, 100Js tend to run everywhere from $400 - $700 depending on .... One of the few public domain schematics of early Guilds; labeled Masteramp Here however it has one more tube than Coffeeman's in the preamp and too few tubes in the preamp to match the linked maybe stereo eBay model...sigh...

Another older Guild eBay amp here $565 and another 98RT about $560 Coffee; are those 6V6 or 6L6 outputs? 5Y3 rectifier and three 12AX7s? Within the not-too-distant future, Coffee's original caps will look like these:

caps.jpg

The dilemma with vintage gear is whether to leave it original and only 'patch' when parts fail in anticipation of greater financial appreciation or refurbish - replacing caps, plate/cathode resistors, coupling and tone caps and so on - adding years of dependable life while bringing the amp's sound back to life; new caps equal instant headroom, improved bass, on and on.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
I think the guy from Carr amps agrees with me that that is one of the best looking 1X12 designs for a combo ever. Carr Rambler:
ram1x12front_sm.jpg
In addition to its fine, clean look, you can read more about this remarkable amp Here Switchable from Class A/B with twin 6L6 outputs at 28 watts to Class A triode operation at 14 watts.

From Carr's webpage:

"It's no accident that the Rambler succeeds in delivering classic American 'deluxe' tone with dramatically expanded clean headroom, solid bass response and the option of 28 watt pentode or 14 watt triode operation. The Rambler simply reflects my desire to improve and refine the original concept of an appropriately powered 1x12 club amp with reverb and tremolo."

Sound Clips - Worth a listen.
Nashville Rambler. Gibson Les Paul, Rambler 1x12 (1.31mb mp3)
Rambler Man. Fender Stratocaster, Rambler 1x12 (1.31mb mp3)

J

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
cawfeereglah said:
capnjuan said:
[ Coffee; are those 6V6 or 6L6 outputs? 5Y3 rectifier and three 12AX7s?
They are 6V6s, and you are correct on all the rest.
Well, it's a drop-dead beautiful amp!

cawfeereglah

Reaction score
Thanks Cap'n :D I think I'll keep it a while... and thanks for all the extra assist with posts. Some might not have been so patient.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
cawfeereglah said:
Thanks Cap'n :D I think I'll keep it a while... and thanks for all the extra assist with posts. Some might not have been so patient.
My pleasure ... I owe it all to Starbucks Sumatra .. my favorite brew but with half & half and turbinado sugar. :lol:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
In addition to its fine, clean look, you can read more about this remarkable amp Here Switchable from Class A/B with twin 6L6 outputs at 28 watts to Class A triode operation at 14 watts.
I've been looking at Carrs online, they seem nice, but guitar stores over here in Europe aren't exactly flooded with them, and they're way above my budget for an amp anyway. (and I'm pretty anal about amps having to be vintage or clones for me to consider them, maybe even worse than about guitars)

But the Rambler does seem especially nice, what's not to like about two 6L6's, thirty watts, reverb and tremolo!?
I just thought it's very obvious where he got the idea for the Rambler cab - the 1X12 almost looks like it's a direct copy of the Guild cab, dimensions-wise.