Who can tell me about this '63 Reverberocket I done bought??

gilded

Reaction score
Okay, boys,

I bought a '63 Reverberocket at the Dallas Show. A friend of mine had it.
He took it to Gerald Weber's Amp Camp (oh, Joy) and recapped the big Electrolytics.

Looking at the schematic, I guess Gerald didn't want him to go back with original specs on the Caps, so instead of say, 60/40/20/10 uf values,
everything is 20uf.

In my mind, that means the amp is underfiltered, hums more and has a looser bass than it should. As well, the 6SN7 is microphonic. If you hold the tube just right, the amp hum stops, too.

The orig. Jensen C-12R speaker is done, cracked in several places and dried out (I put a C12-Q in for now). I guess they didn't spot that at 'Amp Camp'. Nor did they change out the vintage two-pronged electric cord.

As well, one of the EH 7591 tubes is stronger than the other.

I A/B'd it with my Thunder 1 RVT. The Guild amp, which is in really good shape with good caps, tubes, etc., kicked the $**t out of the Ampeg.

Is that the way it's supposed to be?? Anybody know anything about these amps?? I mean, I can tell it's a cool amp and I'll get it sorted out eventually, but I wonder what the Brotherhood thinks??

thanks, gilded

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Filtering.

Probably the original cancap is long out of production. Having not seen the interior of an Ampeg in a while, if you have the room, you can mickey-rig the proper value filtering by soldering axial or radial caps to the terminals of the can cap.
Not changing the cord is stupid from a safety viewpoint, esp. considering how easy it is.
Weber is a Fender guy. All his amps are based on classic Fender designs. It doesn't seem like other amps exist for him.

How much did your friend pay for amp camp?

gilded

Reaction score
Big D,

The original cap can is indeed out of production. Antique Electronics' manufacturing arm, CE, has all the original Mallory cap can tooling. They sell one that's close, an 80/40/30/20 µF @ 525 VDC. It's online at their http://www.tubesandmore.com site under Multi-section FP type capacitors.

Fliptops.net, an Ampeg-oriented web store, sells the same capacitor as part of an R12R-B capacitor kit:

http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/product ... cts_id=694

Here's a pic of what an 'unimproved' chassis looks like:

96.jpg

You can see where the cap can is (or used to be, on my amp). My guy stuck a 20/20 uf F&T into the cap can hole, replaced the paper caps that are bolted to the sides of the chassis and rigged in 2 sprague atoms to get the last stages of filtering.

I'll ask about the price of Amp Camp.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Harry; is the issue no 'rock' in the Reverberocket due to ineffective amp camp fix-em-up? Default it correct, there are very few high-voltage, multi-section can capacitors left on the market suitable for the RR and similar amps. Saw your links and note both are 4-section cans. If I've ID'd the model and schematic corrrectly (further down in this post), you'd still need a 5th cap or section. I also note that the linked caps are 1 3/8" diameter; won't drop in to a 1" or 1 1/4" hole and don't know the hole size in your amp.

Based on your description, this looks like the schematic Here the RR R12RB, 6SN7/6SL7 preamp, 7591s, diode rectifier, possibly two separate multi-section caps; one with 20uf/60uf and another with 40uf/20uf/10uf. Not too sure but seems like amp camp tech didn't know a possible maybe drop in was out there and / or wanted to preserve the amp's vintage look and feel. Best regards, John