Silvertone 1482 for $710 And Other Notes

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Recent sale of Silvertone 1482 Here for $710 said to have been from the estate of a music biz biggie; usually run $300-$400. The king of the mid-60s mail-order amps; twin 6V6s plus tremolo made by Danelectro; good - if not great - build standard, lots of tone for the money, and for shipping reasons, plenty strong MDO cabinet. Sold w/ 12"/8 ohm speakers, the original output transformers in this model include 4 ohms taps so that even higher output can be achieved by switching to a 12"/4 ohm speaker reducing the load on the transformer. This recent-record sales price will only be surpassed when Coastie's copy hits the market ... talk about provenance :shock: :shock: :shock:

stone02.jpg

The Silvertone 'Champ'

Current eBay auction for Silvertone 1471 Link Here. Prices for the 1471s/1481s/single 6V6 models going up faster than the twin 6V6 1482 ... the 1471s/1481s reign as the Poor Man's Champ and rightfully so; tons of great tone in a small package. The only electronic distinction between the 1471 and 1481 is the rectifier; a 5Y3 in the 1471 and a 6X4 in the 1481; cosmetic diffs in cabs in pics below.

Danelectro made Silvertone amps for Sears and Airline amps for Montgomery Wards; electronically no difference at all. The early common Silvertone/Airline schematics indicate a sleepy 255 VDC on the primary B+ but somewhere along the line, the Silvertone power transformers were upgraded. Jeff Heard's 1471 operates at a comparatively blistering 375 VDC. The 1471/1481 original output transformers are wound for 4 ohm speakers. Jeff's OT was replaced, he put in a new Weber sig 8", and now has a drop cable including impedance-matching resistor to drive the 12"/8 ohm speakers in either his Ampeg or Guild amps.

1471 from current auction:
stone03.jpg

1481 reference pic:
stone04.jpg

If any of you are getting the itch to be the next Leo Fender, start with a Silvertone; great buy for the money and $50 in fresh parts adds sparkle, tone, and reliability - Jeff's absolutely roars.

CJ

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bloody Nora !!

$700 and change is nuts ! Don't give a rat's what (minor) "celebrity" it belonged to !

No-ones ever going to get mine, cos it ain't ever going to be for sale !

danerectal

Reaction score
Pretty sure Dreamlander picked one of those up for around $200 of CL Fargo. One of the best breakups I've heard when that thing gets going. Nice trem and reverb too.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
danerectal said:
Pretty sure Dreamlander picked one of those up for around $200 of CL Fargo. One of the best breakups I've heard when that thing gets going. Nice trem and reverb too.
Hi Dane: the 1482 has tremolo; If D-Man's amp has reverb too, it's probably a 1483 or 1484 ... some 1483/1484 models were sold as combos, the rest were head/cab. CJ

Edit: the 1472 is also a reverb amp. cj

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Recent sale of Silvertone 1482 Here for $710 said to have been from the estate of a music biz biggie; usually run $300-$400. The king of the mid-60s mail-order amps; twin 6V6s plus tremolo made by Danelectro; good - if not great - build standard, lots of tone for the money, and for shipping reasons, plenty strong MDO cabinet. Sold w/ 12"/8 ohm speakers, the original output transformers in this model include 4 ohms taps so that even higher output can be achieved by switching to a 12"/4 ohm speaker reducing the load on the transformer. This recent-record sales price will only be surpassed when Coastie's copy hits the market ... talk about provenance :shock: :shock: :shock:

stone02.jpg

The Silvertone 'Champ'

Jeff's OT was replaced, he put in a new Weber sig 8", and now has a drop cable including impedance-matching resistor to drive the 12"/8 ohm speakers in either his Ampeg or Guild amps.

If any of you are getting the itch to be the next Leo Fender, start with a Silvertone; great buy for the money and $50 in fresh parts adds sparkle, tone, and reliability - Jeff's absolutely roars.

CJ

John,

I rec'd the cable about 4 days ago, thanks. Haven't tried it yet. Having too much fun playing along with Willie Nelson tunes posted up in another thread.

Yes the 1471 does roar, cool little amp. Starfire loves it.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
The Silvertone 'Champ'

Current eBay auction for Silvertone 1471 Link Here. Prices for the 1471s/1481s/single 6V6 models going up faster than the twin 6V6 1482 ... the 1471s/1481s reign as the Poor Man's Champ and rightfully so; tons of great tone in a small package. The only electronic distinction between the 1471 and 1481 is the rectifier; a 5Y3 in the 1471 and a 6X4 in the 1481; cosmetic diffs in cabs in pics below.

Danelectro made Silvertone amps for Sears and Airline amps for Montgomery Wards; electronically no difference at all. The early common Silvertone/Airline schematics indicate a sleepy 255 VDC on the primary B+ but somewhere along the line, the Silvertone power transformers were upgraded. Jeff Heard's 1471 operates at a comparatively blistering 375 VDC. The 1471/1481 original output transformers are wound for 4 ohm speakers. Jeff's OT was replaced, he put in a new Weber sig 8", and now has a drop cable including impedance-matching resistor to drive the 12"/8 ohm speakers in either his Ampeg or Guild amps.

1471 from current auction:
stone03.jpg

1481 reference pic:
stone04.jpg

CJ

1482.....A few bucks for replacement grill cloth, maybe some aftermarket knobs, and Bob's your auntie !!

IMG_0950.jpg

Have a look at the refurb. in the picture on this auction........ sold for a bundle !

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEARS-SILVERTONE-14 ... dZViewItem

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
John, I rec'd the cable about 4 days ago, thanks. Haven't tried it yet. Having too much fun playing along with Willie Nelson tunes posted up in another thread. Yes the 1471 does roar, cool little amp. Starfire loves it.
Hi Jeff; I think it's the warm woody thing that the SFs have. If you have some contact cleaner, squirt it on the quick-disconnects ... it will improve the connection and make it easier to get them connected and disconnected ... tug holding the terminals, not the cables... let me know if it works ok. John

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
1482.....A few bucks for replacement grill cloth, maybe some aftermarket knobs, and Bob's your auntie !!
IMG_0950.jpg
Hi Gary; came out great! Which speaker do you have in it now; C-Blue or C-Green? " ... Bob's your Auntie ..."? I gotta take me one of those 'English As A Foreign Language' courses ...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Silvertone Pictures: to help identify Silvertone products including Danelectro-made amps and guitars, table radios Here.
Schematics: Nearly every Danelectro Silvertone and Wards/Airline amp schematic including many that cross-reference matching Silvertone/Airline models by model # Here CJ

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi Gary; came out great! Which speaker do you have in it now; C-Blue or C-Green? " ... Bob's your Auntie ..."? I gotta take me one of those 'English As A Foreign Language' courses ...

'Allo Capn.

I have the green in it... have the blue in the cabinet that I use with the Univalve.

I believe America knows the expression "Bob's your Uncle" ?

Well; snip snip, and Bob's your Auntie !

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
'Allo Capn....I believe America knows the expression "Bob's your Uncle" ? Well; snip snip, and Bob's your Auntie !
Hi Gary; I forget from time to time that I live in FL ... and for the other Florida BBers:

Wiki Says: "In 1887, British Prime Minister Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury, appointed his nephew Arthur James Balfour as Minister for Ireland. The press had a field day when he referred to the Prime Minister as “Uncle Bob”. Balfour later went on to become Prime Minister himself. This theory claims that to have "Bob" as one's uncle is a guarantee of success, hence the implied meaning, "and if you do this, you cannot fail." Another theory is that the phrase derives from the slang "all is bob", which means "everything is good"."

Dang; I hate it when I have to learn something everyday ... :evil: J

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
coastie99 said:
'Allo Capn....I believe America knows the expression "Bob's your Uncle" ? theory claims that to have "Bob" as one's uncle is a guarantee of success, hence the implied meaning, "and if you do this, you cannot fail." Another theory is that the phrase derives from the slang "all is bob", which means "everything is good"."

Dang; I hate it when I have to learn something everyday ... :evil: J

CJ,

Tis a pleasure to start the day off with a lesson in the King's English, thank you.

Actually, I'm lying, my day started off jamming a Cat Stevens tune with Graham in another thread. Ragged but fun, Key of "G".

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Tis a pleasure to start the day off with a lesson in the King's English, thank you.
Aye ... but a King there isn't ... only Phillip (he who stands behind her rear) and Charles The Flaccid ... and to be schooled by Coastie at that :evil: ..... :wink:

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I learned something today, already, so I'm about to go home.
I just learned what a group of crows is called. Ya got your herd of cattle, gaggle of geese, pride of lions, pod of whales, and - today's lesson - a murder of crows. Who knew? That's what I'd like to do to a lot of them that fly over the parking lot.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
A murder of crows ... how fitting ... we have Grackles seasonally ... they stop by briefly on their way to Boca Del Vista ...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
I casually wondered this morning as I was posting; "Where did Bob's your uncle come from ?" Thanks John for the edumication.
My pleasure Gary; besides, the only exercise I get these days is running to the dictionary to unravel your idioms ... keep 'em comin'!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Silvertone twin 12" combo on eBay here. This is the 1485 circuit but, in contrast to the schematic, in a 2X12" combo configuration schematic here; two channels, trem / reverb, 4X6L6, 100 watts. Like several Guild models, the 9" reverb pan is mounted inside the chassis between the output tubes and the inside of the faceplate. In other forums, these are highly regarded amps; because of their tone and frequent use in the garage-band application. Also said to be tough to work on due to 'layered' wiring style. Good pics in the auction; probably weights 60-75 pounds!

stone05.jpg