Looking for recommendation

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
A friends son wants to play the Bass, any recommends?

He's 16, tall, never played guitar before, if any of that matters.

Naturally I'd like to steer him to a Guild, but which one?

Muchas gracias.

gilded

Reaction score
Grammy,

Let's see, why did I learn to play Bass at 19 years of age (a mere 35 years ago)? Was it because I was Inspired by the Muse even then??

Oh, yeah, now I remember. I used to get drunk at parties and I'd always try and play Tequila on somebody else's Bass (somebody else's 'borrowed' bass. Bass player to Harry, 'Can I have my bass back, Man?' Harry to Bass Player, 'hiccup, Arrghh, wanna play it, hiccup'). In fact, I'd get a big blister on my thumb from thumping on the E string. Well, a friend was a great guitar player and told me to get a bass and he'd show me some stuff. I did get a bass and he did show me some stuff. As it happens, I quit drinkin' a short time later, but I've been stuck with the bass thing ever since!!

My point? There are plenty of reasons to want to play bass. Why don't you talk to the kid and see what they are?
It could be anything from,

'my headbangin' crewe needs a bass,' to

'the most beautiful girl in the church choir is starting a band.'

If follows that different circumstances may call for a different kind of bass.....Why don't you see what he's thinkin'? Or not thinkin', as the case may be!! Heck, he may even be interested in....Music!

cjd-player

Reaction score
My son wanted a bass when he was 14. After seeing several entry level basses that some kids at church had, I went with a Yamaha RBX260 that I got fairly cheap on e-bay. It is pretty descent. It is very light, and is smaller than a Fender P bass, both of which can be factors for younger kids.

He hasn't really stuck with it over the years (which is another consideration when thinking about how much $$ to spend), but has started messing around with it again in the last three months or so. I'm glad I didn't sink a lot of money into it, but yet it is very functional and sounds good. Its more than good enough to learn on if he ever really goes back to it.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not a Guild, but my oldest decided recently to take up guitar and was playing an horrible old Teisco. A buddy of mine at work was selling a MIM Telecaster, and let Andy take it home to try. It's an amazingly good instrument and best of all, he's not going to hit up "the bank of Dad" to pay for it. :D

And if he doesn't stick with it, I've another guitar to play! :wink:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Graham said:
A friends son wants to play the Bass, any recommends?
He's 16, tall, never played guitar before, if any of that matters.
Naturally I'd like to steer him to a Guild, but which one?
Muchas gracias.

Don't think there are any new electrics available under the Guild brand name these days. I suspect even if we woke up tomorrow and found there was a reissue Starfire, it would be outside of the realm of what would be rational for a beginner. A vintage JS could be sweet - he can always spring for Dark Stars when he decides the tone is muddy instead of providing a "fat bottom" - but again at several hundred dollars, US, he'd be better off with a $150 bass and a few months of lessons.

I'd ask about the size of his hands and what kind of "finger spread" his hand is comfortable with. That drove me to the short scale once I realized there was a difference.

I started out on a no-name Japanese bass and played it enough that I appreciated the higher quality/playability of the JS when I bought it. To some extent anything that made sound and did not leave splinters might work, knowing it was the starter bass.

I've got a friend who is quite happy with his BC Rich Warlock but again, the price point is slightly beyond beginner.

I suspect no one ever got fired for recommending Fender, and I expect the Squire line would offer something for under $200 US that would not be so hard to play that he got turned off.

The point about where and why is well taken. I could make a case that an acoustic/electric was the choice if he thought he was going to play in certain venues or with certain people. Acoustic/Electrics do not have that cool factor when you are playing in front of people with an amp but there is a lot to be said about being able to have fun without having to haul an amp everywhere. I don't know that market but suspect $400 is not too far from entry level.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Gosh, Graham.
In the beginner's world, there are just so many easy choices. It's the perfect craigslist purchase. Like many above have said, the key is playability. Like frono recommends, make sure it's a good physical fit. Also, for that age group, make sure it's one that scores high on the kid's cool factor gauge. Let us not forget what it's like to be 16! 8)

Off the top of my head, lots of choices available from Fender, Ibanez, and Yamaha. I'd comb CL and try to stay under $200. Shouldn't be so hard. If you wanna keep it in the family, how about a Dearmond stepchild? Maybe a Pilot?

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
graham,
ask jeff about the red 4-string guild pilot bass he still has.
nice slim neck, easy to play, 34" scale, great sound, a modern jazzbass.
I "backordered" it, but since I can't afford another instrument at the moment,
I would happily let it go, and it won't be very expensive. :wink:

danerectal

Reaction score
I tried to post a pretty long reply yesterday, but Internet Exploder locked up. Here I am on Mozilla Firefox with no problems. I would say at an entry level price, I'd consider the SB-202/201. They have kind of a MusicMan Stingray/Guild Pilot feel to it with the addition of the old-style Guild headstock. It features what appear to be the same pickups as a B-302/301, but with a varied placement through the years and a more subdued appearance. There's a Metallic Red one at Diamond Strings for $695 for the two pickup and $550 for a teal single pickup (SB-201).

Here's how they look...
SB-202
guildSB202-1.jpg

SB-201
guildsb201teal-1.jpg

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As a converted guitarist playing bass in a classic rock band, here's my two cents. (IMHO)

34" scale!
Even if you have small hands you can learn to jump back and forth between frets. Short scale basses just don't have the gank. If he ends up in a band he'll probably be tuning the thing down half a step. He'll also be ridiculed by his bass playing friends for playing a "little kids" bass!

Solidbody!
Hollowbodies are for sissies! At 16 you've got to consider the cool factor if you want him to stick with it. "But I got this cute little pink Hello Kitty bass so cheap at a garage sale"! Look for something made from a lightweight wood like poplar. If it's too heavy he won't play it for long. Don't buy anything without him seeing it and holding it. One major thing to look for is the fret end finish on the treble side of the fretboard. If it has crappy fretwork he won't be playing long when it's slicing his hands to bloody ribbons!

Balance!
Have him stand with it on a strap. If the headstaock dives it will be almost impossible to play standing. You know that he's going to be rocking in somebody's garage or basement sooner or later!

Action!
Make sure it's playable! Reading through the "first guitar thread", it's amazing how many of you stuck with it after having started with a really crappy guitar with "cheese slicer" action.

DeArmond!
If it just has to be from the Guild family, The DeArmond pilot is the way to go.

I would set a price limit and take him around to different music stores until he finds one that he likes and meets the above parameters.

(/steps down from soapbox)

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd second everything that GoG said :!:

Gotta have that 34" scale. Anything shorter just doesn't sound right to my ears. A tall 16-year-old should have no problems with 34".

Solidbody - definitely. I've played hollowbodied acoustic bass guitars in folk groups, and they just don't have the volume to hold their own with acoustic guitars, vocals, etc. In all but the quietest situations, they must be amplified. If it's gotta be amplified anyway, go for a solid (they're also cheaper, as well as more durable and cooler). :wink:

I'm an advocate of used instruments. My bass is an Ibanez Roadstar (P-bass copy), about 25 years old, pawnshop purchase. Completely unspectacular, solid & reliable.

Don't buy sight unseen. Be sure to try out instuments before buying.

Strings - Rotosound roundwounds, .095" or .105" bottom. Should last more-or-less forever.

The choice of an amp will be important, but that's another thread.

good luck in the search
R

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Lately I've become partial to short-scale basses, but thinking back, I played a long scale 34" scale bass from age 15 and it was no problem. I'm not especially tall either - 5' 8" or so.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everything there guys, I'm taking delivery of this from Brother Jeff.

I think the kid will get a charge out of it, if not I'll give it a go. :mrgreen:

Does he need a specific amp? The only thing I have kicking around here is a Roland cube 30 and an older Crate 15.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Graham said:
Thanks for everything there guys, I'm taking delivery of this from Brother Jeff.

Does he need a specific amp? The only thing I have kicking around here is a Roland cube 30 and an older Crate 15.

Good choice of a bass, Graham.

Are these bass amps? Guitar amps can be used for bass, but only at really low volumes. For "real" playing, he'll need an amp that's specifically designed for bass. These can be pricey, depending on power, bells, whistles, etc. I've got a Crate 15 watt bass amp that I use for living room folk jams - I bought it specifically because I can carry in on my bicycle :) My "big" amp is a Roland Cube 60B - great tone, and OK for some situations but not enough power for playing with a drummer.

He might also be interested in checking out the bass forum "The Bottom Line" at magpie.com

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ross said:
Graham said:

Good choice of a bass, Graham.

Are these bass amps? Guitar amps can be used for bass, but only at really low volumes. For "real" playing, he'll need an amp that's specifically designed for bass. These can be pricey, depending on power, bells, whistles, etc. I've got a Crate 15 watt bass amp that I use for living room folk jams - I bought it specifically because I can carry in on my bicycle :) My "big" amp is a Roland Cube 60B - great tone, and OK for some situations but not enough power for playing with a drummer.

He might also be interested in checking out the bass forum "The Bottom Line" at magpie.com

Thanks for the link Ross, I'll pass it on to him.