GA-5: A tale of 2 Gibsons

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Just snagged both within the past several days....

A 1960 GA-5 Skylark + a newer 2006 GA-5 Les Paul Jr.

I haven't had a chance to crank them up yet, but both sound great at low volumes... which is good because this is why I needed lower wattage amps since we're now in a townhouse.

The newer one is louder, the older one is smoother.... both are really cool though, with amazingly complex tones for very simple 1 knob/low volume amps!

GA5s3.jpg

GA5s2.jpg

Thanks again to the good Cap'n for his insight on the older ones!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Michael; it's a fact that amps come in different flavors; in this case 6V6 v. EL84. When it was on eBay, I liked the older GA5 from the beginning for its recent maintenance, the speaker out jack, and for-its-age excellent cosmetics. There are two schematics out there for it: a 6SJ7 / earlier and a 12AX7 / later preamp versions; know which you have yet? If you get the chance, try running its output through a 12" speaker ... Congratulations on both amps; I don't think the newer GA5 is still in production. CJ

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Mine's a '60, and I believe it to be 12AX7... it's definitely the 8" Jensen "special design" speaker, but I haven't had a chance to take the back panel off yet for further inspection. Will do that probably by next week.

Have a look here at Figure 3 and the text that corresponds with it... that photo could be of my amp:

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/rockinjo ... _ga_5.html

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks; you're right, the 6SJ7 is the much earlier model; looking forward to the A/B results. John

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
I just hit tone gold. It's always a great feeling... this time with a Gibson combination:

Gibsons.jpg

'60 GA-5
'01 LP Jr.

Also used an Ibanez Tubescreamer + Analog Delay... everything sounded great. The P90's were roaring and the GA-5 cookin'!

Saving the settings hopefully for some recording use soon.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Get a splitter box and play through both at the same time! I guarantee you'll love it. :mrgreen: