GUILD 89RT TUBE GUITAR AMPLIFIER RARE UNCATALOGED AMP?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Mark; despite the metal tag on the back stamped '89' and the matching paper tag, it looks for all the world like a 98RT. Maybe Hans, Kurt, or matsickma have something to say but ... I guess it might have been made in one of those sheltered workshops for dis-electric people..

matsickma

Reaction score
I never heard of a 89 RT amp. The 98RT I owned a few years back was SN 1214. The amp for auction is SN 1205. The handwriting of the model and SN is identical for each label. A few little differences in my amp and the auction: 1) mine had "reverb amp 98RT" silk screened on the chrome chassis. The auction says "reverb amp". 2) Mine also had a Guild square block label on the top front. 3) The On/OFF/StandBy switch looks to be reversed compared to mine and my amp does not have a silkscreen label for "ON". Possibly it wore off. 4) The next item of note I see different on my amp verse the auction is the auction has a rectangular chrome label on the back. My amp doesn't have this label. I have seen this chrome label on other early Guild amps. Interestingly the chrome label has the numbers "89" stamped into the Model section. The electronics, and tubes look similar. 5) My amp looks like it had a Oxford 12 inch speaker instead of the Jensen 12 inch as seen in the auction amp.

I never heard of a model 89. Guild was kind of thrifty so is it possible someone accidently stamped Model 89 and they stayed with it?

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
capnjuan said:
... I guess it might have been made in one of those sheltered workshops for dis-electric people..
Then it's a good thing they used 6V6 tubes.
.... or 6L6 tubes ... anybody decide yet that they just have to have this beauty ... whatever model # it is?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Well ... after calling for a Fair Catch on the Guild RC30 and then making a mess out of it ... I think I'll just keep my hands in my pockets for the time being.

AfterDarkMusic

Reaction score
98RT Tonal Profile?

Hey guys.

With the recent discussion of the mystery 89RT I became quite curious about the 98RT. I believe that I briefly skimmed something, a review IIRC, and it mentioned that the 98RT has a Tweed type tone. This piqued my interest as I had stopped considering a Tweed Deluxe specifically because it didn't have on-board reverb and, as its very name might suggest the 98RT does. Is this in fact the case? Any other opinions about their character? Any other words on the subject would be greatly appreciated and, as always, sound clips would be extraordinary.

AfterDarkMusic

Reaction score
Re: 98RT Tonal Profile?

Thanks for the link, Guildmark. I was fairly certain on the reverb, I'm more curious about the actual character of the amp. From that page, though, it seems that it may sound like an ampeg reverberocket. Unfortunately, I can't find much info on these amps either.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Re: 98RT Tonal Profile?

AfterDarkMusic said:
... a review ... mentioned that the 98RT has a Tweed type tone ... as its very name might suggest the 98RT does. Is this in fact the case?
Hi ADM; confirming, the 98RT has reverb (note auction pic w/ two-button FS). Although later Guild models fed the reverb from a speaker, just going by the pics, that doesn't look to be the case with this amp. CJ

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi ADM; since this thread and your thread are addressing the same amp, your thread and its posts have been merged here with the existing thread. CJ

AfterDarkMusic

Reaction score
That's fine. I'm really just trying to get a feel for what the amp might sound like. One description said it was all but identical to the ampeg reverberocket. Other things I've read said that it sounded like a tweed. Anyone have enough experience to chime in?