Odetta and Tennessee Ernie Ford

cjd-player

Reaction score
He had quite a voice. I know we had one or two of his records around the house when I was growing up.

I remember watching the show occasionally, but don't have any strong memories of the shows.

Actually, I'm not sure that I have any strong memories any more. :roll:

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Here's one called "Where Were You When the Ship Hit the Sand?" For those in New Zealand, Canada, and other places not used to English, "ship hit the sand" sounds like an American slang saying in which "ship" is actually an obscenity meaning caca, merde, scheisse, etc., and it hits the "fan" (sounds like sand).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyQZjhkM ... re=related

cjd-player

Reaction score
Very thoughtful for you to translate for them, Darryl. :mrgreen:

That was funy, but boy, that guitar sounded aweful; and out of tune no less.
Good thing the band came in.
You would think they could have afforded a decent axe for him to play on a TV show. :roll:

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi Darryl, Ernie Ford may not have been much of a hick....I'm thinkin' he was waaaay cool. Jimmy Bryant was and is one of the best ever he did things with that Xcaster, the forrunner of the telecaster, that goes beyond the ridiculous. The original 'shredder'. and Speedy West was tooooooo amazing to bad we don't have about 2 weeks of these guys playing together, on dvd of course in hi def.... The pea picker hisself covered a lot of ground, and with great class, and fun, and a huge voice and spirit as well. In some ways I think he was as good as it got, espescially in some of his Gospel stuff. Thanks for the reminder.....Steffan :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVRv0btVzI0&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzt1iA2D_Kg

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Steffan,

The LTG Cool Cat Factor is going up, thanks to you and me. (Especially me.) Jim and Scratch were already converted, but I'm afraid Coastie is introverted. We have to give him the lowdown on the hoedown.

hf

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They better gert it on Darryl, I mean, we're a little long in the tooth to be modest, time is gettin' to be a premium. So many Guilds.... so little money.....I got them six string blues.......twelve times over....Steffan :!:

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
For those in New Zealand, Canada, and other places not used to English, "ship hit the sand" sounds like an American slang saying in which "ship" is actually an obscenity meaning caca, merde, scheisse, etc., and it hits the "fan" (sounds like sand).

Thanks indeed for the translation your Hattedness. I wonder if I can fool the guys at work with that? We're so used to the saying, "When the fecal matter contacts the rotary wind machine."

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Eh ! ! ! :? :roll: I've not heard that one....I have heard 'when the stuff goes under the thing.' Steffan