Damage Control Womanizer

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I have just ordered one of these and wondered if anyone here has any experience with this tone box?

It uses two 12AX7 tubes with direct out so it can be used as a direct box. It has EQ sections before and after the gain stage. I am excited about it and hope that is as good as I expect.

In case you are not familiar with them, this is their assessment of themselves!!

Damage Control was founded in 2004 in Newbury Park, CA by individuals with extensive design, development and manufacturing experience in the audio and electronics industries. Their talents have contributed to the success of companies including Fender, Line 6, QSC, Alesis, Analog Devices, Seagate, Boeing, and Power One. With backgrounds that encompass analog and digital electronics, DSP systems architecture and algorithm design, high-voltage power systems, tube amplification, and state-of-the-art industrial design, the Damage Control team is well-equipped to execute its vision of developing premium products that inspire with unequaled performance!!!

http://www.damagecontrolusa.com/pedals_ind.php?pedal=1

cawfeereglah

Reaction score
Definitely looks cool. Give us a review once you figure out what it can do.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I will let you know how it works out.

Their website has a pretty good demo on the Womanizer and the Demonizer. When you open the link on the first post look to the Bottom of the page and select Videos. Beside the Videos button is the button for Samples. They have some good short samples.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well P, with "Optical Compression" and "Bionic EQ", how can you possibly go wrong? :shock: Sheeew!!! :D You're gonna have to teach me a few things in Dallas!

West

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Well Hello West,
I don't know about teaching, but I will sure bend your ear about it.

It's funny how I got this thing. I had ordered it from Sweetwater because they bragged that they had this grand relationship with Damage Control and they would be able to get one before the other mail order houses. The original ship date was about a month from when I ordered it. Then I got an e-mail from them saying that it was going to be delayed another 20 days or so.

I had e-mailed Damage Control with a question earlier and got a nice response, so I e-mailed again and asked if they were having a problem delivering to the dealers because of unexpected demand. Well I get a reply from one of the founders that had worked for Boeing and he said he didn't want to go into the sad story about that, but he said we keep about 10-15 Womanizers on had for professional musicians and did I want one? :mrgreen:

Well of course I want one.......on top of that I got it at a lower price than the mail order houses. Yeah baby!!!

I love the thing, I have been playing it through my little Kustom Tube 12 (12 watts, 12AX7 tube in the preamp and a Celestion 8" speaker). Of course you play the amp in clean mode so you just get the Womanizers distortion.

Last Saturday when I set up the sound system for church, I set it up and ran direct to the board and listened to it through the JBL Ion floor monitor (15" and a Horn). It was really sweet and it gets this THICK sound that Line 6 Floor Pod just cant do. It gets sounds more like a Boutique amp and you can go direct out to the mixer for live or recording. 8)

I guess in a couple of weeks I will have played it enough to write a review of it in here. So keep an eye on this thread.

I will be bringing an acoustic to Arlington, but maybe I will pack this thing along in case we can arrange some way to play it.

Later my friend.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Well, I have been playing the Bluesbird through the womanizer in one of the bands at church for 5 months now, and I just love the thing. The inter play between the pre-drive tone controls and the drive as well as the optical compressor is just great. If you set frequency selector knob to the bass side and set the level high on the pre-drive (pre-distortion) tone controls, with it set clean otherwise, the you get clean tone on light strumming, and has you hit it harder with the pick you get progressively more distortion in the bass, or treble if you choose that side. If you set the pre-drive level control low and turn up the drive control you get a even distortion across the frequency spectrum.

Those pre-drive tone controls alter the distortion in those frequency bands but do not change the level of bass for instance that comes out of the unit in direct out or as it comes out of the amplifier.

The compressor runs through a 12AX7 as well and you can get lovely distortion out of it as well.

The Damage Control units are pricey, but worth every penny. If you were looking for an amplifier to produce this quality of sound, you would be looking at $2,000.00 minimum.

When I am playing the more professional guys I play with, they look around every now and then and comment about how great it sounds, and the fact that you can get that fabulous tone without being at Nosebleed volumes is a real plus too, particularly in church or in a small room. This one is designed to be used primarily for recording so it is exceptionally clean and noise free.

Go to there website and listen to the tone samples on the 6 products they make.

http://www.damagecontrolusa.com/