Standel Amp with 4x10'-reverb & phase shift.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Seems like this could be a 'Gibson' but apparently great amps. This one is in great shape with new tubes, 100watts rms, hammond springs for the reverb. Wes Montgomery, Barbara Mandrell and a bunch of other greats preferred this amp, so I'm trusting it to be a winner...Should arrive on my doorstep for less than $800. Told my friend at the music store about it and the 1st words out of his mouth, as his eyes widened, were "want to sell it?" This thing may change my life forever, thought you guys should know...or at least might be interested! Anyone have any experience with one of these, it about '74. (sg410) Thanks Steffan

Frosty

Reaction score
I know next to nothing about amps... but the name "Standel" is familiar to any fan of Chet Atkins or Paul Yandell!

ce blues

Reaction score
sounds like you'll be cookin' with my favorite speaker combination, friend: 4X 10-inchers. very cool, I hope you'll provide pictures and commentary once the beastie arrives (please?). One question or illumination.....when I hear the word "Standell" the first comment that occurrs to me is: tube-solid state hybrid? am I all wet here? one of my fav amps is a 1975 musicman hybrid of 65 watts with 4 10" Eminence speakers. the preamp is pure solidstate utilizing 5x LM1471 ICs with a tube phase inverter/driver section and 2X 6CA7 Sylvania output section through a hefty xfmr. is the Standell of similar architecture?

ce

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
read the posting up in Canada. 100 watt tube output and it would have to be silicon for the preamp. There's no way of building a tube phase-shifter to my knowledge. Has distortion and reverb. Should be an interesting pickup.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure yet about solid state pre-amp. The guy is also rapairs amps etc. replaced all the tubes, think he said 5818s said the phase shift at fast sounds like a leslie, slow, wash like waves on a beach kind of thing, 3 speeds. also has distortion and output is controlled by master volume, Looks like new. but the people in the remote area where he lives prefer things like berringer with the toys and whistles....This is a 74 Standel-Gibson, i.e. SG 4 10 I'm guessing. Says it weighs about 70 lbs, and has casters From what I can find They used a lot of 15" speakers in the earlier units the 50s Thats what Chet and Earl used maybe even Lenny, but the one he used in the 60s had the Baldwin name. still might have been built by Standel.... In the 60s they built some solid state units but then went back to the tubes in the 70s. This seems to be a rare bird with the 4X10s. Aside from the sheer weight I'm looking forward to getting it, probably in about a month. Very cooperative in helping me gather some loot. I wasn't looking for an amp, but out of curiosity I checked it out, I think I'm glad I did. Remember having an old Premiere (I think) amp, bass model back in those days, it was a clean powerful unit too. With the 16" hammond springs, and the heavy duty transormers these units have, it should be a blast. Will keep youse guys and goils informed.... :| :? :D Steffan

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The transistor amps were supposed to be pretty good. For the most part, they were "country amps", IIRC. You might pm billydlight, he's gigging with Standels. I don't think it's the same model, but you never know.