Taylor 410CE - comments?

archiestone

Reaction score
Guild Total
Local seller has a very nice looking Taylor 410CE at what seems a reasonable price. Thought I might go over and take a look. Before I go, any comments or things to look for? This one is a 2005 with the "Expression System." It's also had a pro setup. Thanks!

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
they had some serious problems with the early ES pickups.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
It's against my better judgement to say anything positive about a Taylor, but the lady I play nursing homes with plays a 410, and I love it. Great tone, nice action and a beautiful guitar. :wink: It's no Westerly of course, but I like it.

West

kydog

Reaction score
my opinion should not count for nuch only been playing for a year. when I bought my first guitar I closed my eye's and had my brother hand me guitars to try and with my eye's closed I chose the one that had the sound that I liked . now remember that I was looking at guitars that were under 400.00 or so If you like it you like it you could have a tayor in your collection
it is what it is that's it

cjd-player

Reaction score
I like Taylor guitars, to the dismay of some LTG's here :wink:, but have never been a fan of the sound of their dreds.

I tried many, but when it came to buying a dred, nothing beat the Guild sound for my ears.
I bought the D-55.

You could probably get a used Guild D-50 or DV-52 with rosewood for about the same price or less than the Taylor 410 with the ovankol - yea, ovankol sorta kinda somewhat sounds similar to rosewood - but not really.

A minor issue, but to me, the shape of the Guild dreds is more pleasing that the shape of the Taylor dreds.

Regarding the expression system, I have a 2003 and 2006 in my Taylors and have never had any problems. There is a lot of negative press for the ES on the Taylor forum part of AGF.
I don't doubt that the folks have had problems, but there have to be many, many thousands, like me, who have not had problems.
I plug into our church PA or my Shenendoah amp and with some EQ tweeking, get a great sound.

cjd-player

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
It's against my better judgement to say anything positive about a Taylor
West
Looks like Grammy needs to post that Arlington picture again :wink: .

That's Arlington, Graham, not to be confused with the more-requested CN Tower.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No comment on the 410CE but I played on of these today. GC 4E, I think the price was $1600 & change. Jumped right out at me it did, quite live, I liked it.

Then I went over & picked up the last Tacoma Guild they have left, a D40 BJ, priced at a negotiable $1499. Distinctively different vibe from the Taylor GC 4. The Taylor is smaller ( a good thing in my book) loud & has a lot more overtones, a more busy sound, noticeably twangy when A + B'd against the D40. I'd say the D40 is more guitar for the money. Perhaps a more traditional "vintage" sound. (no electronics in the D40 & the Taylor was wired)

GC4-1.jpg
3806300821_md.png

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
cjd-player said:
[quote="West R Lee":14qijge2]It's against my better judgement to say anything positive about a Taylor
West
Looks like Grammy needs to post that Arlington picture again :wink: .

That's Arlington, Graham, not to be confused with the more-requested CN Tower.[/quote:14qijge2]

:D Pretty incriminating, isn't it? Gosh that thing is beautiful. That's now California's guitar.

West

Roman

Reaction score
It's against my better judgement to say anything positive about a Taylor Oh, so not true . . .

Taylors can be useful in the winter, when it gets cold :) Well, since you ended with a smiley face, I'm taking that this was ment in jest. Last winter, me and my Taylors (and a few others) helped getting through the cold winter. (and I don't have a fire place!!!!)

Taylor makes some wonderful guitars . . .

But, I can't argue with the D-55 result!