Java Joe.2

ce blues

Reaction score
Howdy Guilders,

my trio (Robert Garett Trio) has gone through some personnel/instrumentation changes recently and our sound has improved vastly thereby....our bassist, Gary, relocated to Portland (Oregon) and we replaced him with a percussionist. Alex uses a very reduced set of traps (I think it is called a "cocktail set") consisting of hi-hat, snare, 18" (ride?) cymbal and this weird little excuse for a kick drum. he uses mostly different sets of brushes rather than sticks, so the sound is not at all loud but smoothly blends with the other acoustic instrumentation. All in all, I really think it has improved our sound--it has certainly resulted in much better regulation of tempo!

We've begun adding some standards to our set list that many of us geezer-folk will recognize right away (and even some stuff that was old when our parents were young hipsters). But don't panic, we still are doing a lot of blues, bebop, jive and jazz. In fact, the Sinatra tunes are definitely a minority on our set list. All in all, we are really high on this incarnation of our trio.

If any of you folks are near Yorba Linda this sunday (20 July) you are cordially invited to be our guest for a listen and a glass of your favorite adult beverage at Java Joe's between 3 and 5 PM. Hope to see you there,

ce blue

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
would happily make it -------------------- if you pay the travel-fees :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ps: replacing a bassplayer with a percussionist......ts, ts, ts.....

ce blues

Reaction score
actually, Krysh,

this gives me the opportunity to play bass....ah, about the travel expenses: hey, no problem. Does Lufthansa accept Monopoly money as legal tender? I've got a whole game "bank" worth that I am willing to put into circulation :? :mrgreen:

ce blue

thanks Mark.....I tried to make it down last tuesday night to do a couple tunes and pimp our upcoming gig but I made a detour after rehearsal to feed my cat and sat down to "catch my breath"....I woke up just before midnight. just wasn't in the cards that last tuesday.
ce

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
:D :lol:

Just another symptom of the geezerness we all suffer from, CE!
If I fall asleep in front of the TV, I can count on waking up there in the morning. Huck has never felt compelled or obligated to wake me up to transfer to bed! She figures if it's not worth it to me - it's not worth it to her!

ce blues

Reaction score
Westy,

you'd be more than welcome. I really enjoy working with this lineup--Bob and I have played together (on and off) since 1966 and our musical communication has reached that level of complete symbiosis where complete synchronization of intent and execution is unconscious.....poor alex requires visual cues still, but after rehearsing with us for a month he's really come a long way and adds a dimension to the sound that very usefully fills a lot of musical space (was that too obtuse? it is for good reason that I am called a "wordy old bastard").

any and all comers are welcome to visit with us for a couple hours this coming sunday at Java Joe's...Mark, geezerness has a couple of downsides. My dear departed never allowed me to fall asleep during a television program or movie. the first sign of my attention drifting always occasioned an elbow nudge in my ribcage....that's not a complaint.

ce

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: :oops: I'm afraid I couldn't hang with you guys CE, I haven't reached that level of complete symbiosis quite yet, in fact, I can't even say it. :? I meant I'd like to come listen. :wink: But y'all have a good time.

West

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Here are a couple of shots of CE Blue's band, The Robert Garrett Blues Trio at their gig yesterday afternoon at Java Joe's Coffee Lounge in Yorba Linda, CA. CE has the vocal here, with Alex on percussion, and Robert on harp. Note CE's lovely, if blurry, Guild D-30! He doesn't stand still much!

100_0768.jpg

100_0765.jpg

100_0776.jpg

ce blues

Reaction score
Wow! Thank You, Mark....

I don't know what to say besides "thank you" for being there to listen, bringing your camera and posting a couple photos of our gig! you're right, I tend to move a lot (the other guys want me to sit on a stool and be mellow...."mellow" is not a concept I really understand....now, post-gig sore feet is a concept I can relate to completely!) Performing with my axe and singing heartfelt lyrics is a process that engages me completely on an emotional, intellectual and spiritual level....I just can't sit still. again, thank you so very much Mark

ce blue

btw....rehearsal is wednesday night this week so the chances of an early Mo Phat appearance are very good! all the best....ce blue

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
We want audio.......we want audio........we want audio......we want audio!!!!!!!!!!!

:D West

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Hi, Mark,

Thought I'd let you know I'm on my way...hope you'll be there. And some of the other Guildy crew...

Hope there's a monitor this time...or at least a speaker in the back corner on an angle...

If I don't show up, the van ran out of coolant on the way... :roll: :lol: :roll:

ce blues

Reaction score
Howdy Westy!

yeah, I'm kinda in love with my sweet D30 (the slide-gal D25 is a wonderful player as well, just not as flashy-pretty as the "30".....both of those gals "sing" with their own individual voices and style)....there are a few examples of my work on soundclick.com/cesolberg (I believe I have downloaded about eight songs to that site.....probably 50% of those are examples of my electric work and are set in the context of a quintet (I play all instruments and programmed the drum machine) while the other 50% are either done with my D25 slide monster or my D30 (I always sing with the latter guitar)..... PM me, and I can hook you up with recordings of the style music you prefer (I'm guessing my acoustic work is more your forte..... I've been told that a few people actually enjoy my solo acoustic work.....I love it which works out for everyone!)

I did the last spot at Mo Phat tonight and was priviledged to meet another member of the group tonight: the lovely Jane with a very slick solidbody, custom strat.....I love techie chicks (especially ones my own age!).....s'all very cool

ce blue

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Java Joe's still standing?

Felt that quake pretty good and I'm 60 miles further from it.

Mark, Ed, David...all OK?

And any other southern cali LTG'rs.

ce blues

Reaction score
Jane,

I can't answer for Mark, but as for myself (and Bunny) that quake really "rocked"....scared the heck out of my cat and I....I honestly thought my old apartment house was gonna collapse on me and I couldn't get bunny out from under the bed for hours! But then again, I'm about seven air miles from epicenter (and Mark is even closer).....listening to the radio after the event I was amused to hear that those further away considered it to be a pretty much non-event kind of quake....perspective and relativity strike again.

blue

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Final score: 5.4 - No sweat.
Huck had a bit of glass to sweep up this time. No cracks in the walls but a door frame popped out about half an inch. Easy fix. Dogs went nuts for a while. At work I didn't even notice it. I was outside walking at the time. The buildings on our company campus were evacuated but not everyone heard the announcement. There were lots of people standing in the quad with lots of other people smiling and waving down at them from windows.

This one was odd because the intensity didn't seem to correlate to the distance from the epicenter. My brother-in-law works in Chino, though, and they got shook up quite a bit, but nothing major and no one hurt. Java Joe's came through fine, and the open mic went on as usual last night, but another coffee lounge two miles further away had dozens of bottles and stuff knocked off of shelves.

The local media, as usual, played it to the hilt. They reminded everyone about preparedness and what to do during the tembler. They interviewed the CalTech high priestesses, Lucy and Kate, and interviewed frikkin' folks in Hollywood, 35 miles from the center of the quake, who acted like this was on a par with China a month ago. Bunch of numb nuts. Right after it happened I emailed all my relatives and let them know we were fine. They always panic on our behalf, unable to understand how we can live with this constant threat, even though they are the ones who deal with tornadoes, floods and hurricanes every year!

Everyone keeps waiting for "The Big One". My bet is that, when it comes, it won't be in California. It will be along the New Madrid fault in Missouri, and everything in the Mississippi Valley will fall into the river.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Well, glad everyone is OK.

Ed, an older frame building, hopefully that's what your apartment is, is actually safer to be in than a lot of modern ones. The old wood frames torque with the shocks and usually don't collapse. Though they can bounce of the foundations pretty good if not bolted down. Pretty noisy though. :lol: :lol:

Mark, being at ground zero seems a bit like being in the eye of the hurricane...the waves increase exponentially as they move outwards. Rocked pretty good here and I'm about 60 miles away.

And there are a lot more earthquakes than in California...personally experienced them in New York, Maine, Montreal, Chicago...apparently there's a pretty good fault or two in the northeast as well as the midwest.

Also done the tornado bit...more than once. And blizzards, and triple ice storms, and hailstorms, and hurricane force winds...collectively known as 'freaking mother nature's Weather'.

Only thing that counts is being able to walk away alive. Everything else is just 'stuff'.