Harmony Archtop

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm warning you that I've never played a Harmony that didn't suck. They are horrible instruments in all the ones that I've touched. The pups can be pretty good sounding and maybe worth putting in a better made box. I have a couple of nice-sounding pups from a teisco that will eventually go into a tele or lp junior copy.

Not all "vintage" guitars are worth big money as instruments.

Roman

Reaction score
So, you think my old Harmony sucks, eh? I like it! :D

Harmonyfrontfull.jpg

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
Jeff said:
Nigel Wickwire said:
Anybody have any idea what something like this is worth?

http://kpr.craigslist.org/msg/764698214.html

~nw

Looks like an interesting guitar. Can't help you with a value but you can be fairly confident not too many folks here are shopping Prosser,
Washington's Craiglist. Gollie Nigel, where are you?

Small world - I've got distant cousins in Prosser :mrgreen:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Default said:
I'm warning you that I've never played a Harmony that didn't suck.
Really? That seems harsh. There are plenty of sucky Harmony guitars, but there are some cooler ones in there I think.
The two models that come to mind have gotten too expensive for what they are, but they still are cool IMO. (the little "midget" single cut solids they did, and the H-62 and similar archtops)

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That may seem harsh, but in my experience, it's been absolutely true. They cranked out millions of guitars, whether you're referring to the American ones or the imports. For every great-sounding, easy-playing Harmony you've run across, there were literally thousands of terrible, cardboard-sounding, flat-fingerboarded, noisy, finger-tip slicers with jagged frets that killed the talents of countless would-be guitarists. When I was a kid, I used to see them in the trash all the time. I remember seeing one in the store that I took my first lessons in and I asked my teacher about it. "If you can find the one where they got the neck angle right, they're ok." Not "great", not "good", just "ok".

Roman, you may have ended up with one of those freaks where they got everything right, but if I had to buy a Harmony, I damn sure would want to play it first. Your's was a fairly top of the line model and they spent a little more time building them, so naturally, it would be a little bit better than the better sellers. $700 is too much for me to gamble on what might turn out to be a case full of suck.
If you could buy it and flip it on ebay without losing money on the deal and you've got 7 beans burning a hole in your pocket, mmm maybe.
I'd suggest looking up Fatdog at Subway Guitars and see what he had to offer. You might be able to get the same thing for the same or less, and have the guitar set up for free in the bargain.

I respect you guys, Lord knows you are much better guitarists than I'll ever be, but Harmonys are yard-sale guitars. I'll stand by my opinion and experiences. :wink: YMMV.

Reaction score
I periodically take a look at Craigslist just to see what's there. Generally, there are a lot of junk guitars that people buy and then decide playing a guitar is not for them. Very few decent guitars that I have seen in our local listings. That one caught my eye, I thought it was interesting, but I have no experience with archtop guitars of any kind, much less a Harmony, so I thought I'd troll for feedback.

As Default points out, just because it's old doesn't make it 'vintage' or 'collectible' or a classic.

Jeff, I reside in our fair city of Kennewick, about a 30 minute drive from Prosser.

Thanks all for the feedback, that's exactly why I posted here before contacting the seller.

Sincerely,
nw