Jack Casady playing a Starfire with Jimi Hendrix

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice!!! I wonder if Jack is playing his own bass on "Voodoo Chile" from Electric Ladyland?

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
There's at least a couple of performances - he's playing bass on the "live" version of "Voodoo Chile" on Electric Ladyland (Steve Winwood is on organ too!), and there's a live performance - maybe called Live at Winterland? - where he jams with them on an instrumental "Sunshine of Your Love," with a crazy distorted bass sound and solo, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: I think I was wrong - it's Noel Redding on "Sunshine of Your Love" - Jack Casady joins in on "Killing Floor."

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I knew Casady had played and recorded with Hendrix but it was always one of those things that was not well documented. My limited research led me to places that tried to explain things by saying that Casady playing and being credited violated his record company contract.

So if we postulate a fantasy power trio of Jimi and Jack, who should the drummer be? :)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Ginger Baker .... Toad

ginger.jpg

danerectal

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
I knew Casady had played and recorded with Hendrix but it was always one of those things that was not well documented. My limited research led me to places that tried to explain things by saying that Casady playing and being credited violated his record company contract.
I head the same about Clapton/Harrison before Layla did its trick. :roll:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
My favorite casady non airplane performance is still on the country joe and the fish farewell show at fillmore west. the jams are amazing!!!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
My favorite casady non airplane performance is still on the country joe and the fish farewell show at fillmore west. the jams are amazing!!!

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
mellowgerman said:
fronobulax said:
Welcome. Is that a JS w/Dark Stars or is it a real early model?

hi those are dark stars. it's a 71.

Thanks.

THREAD HIJACK

I expected it to be Dark Stars if only because the only JS II I've seen with a Bi-sonic PU at the neck has a different style PU at the bridge. See this and scroll down for the left handed model Hans posted.

Was it like that when you got it or do you have some experience with the Guild humbuckers on it as well? I'm interested in the difference in sound. My JS II is my least favorite sounding bass (see sig) at the moment and I am wondering whether Dark Stars would give me an improved sound that is significantly different from the Starfire.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
mellowgerman said:
fronobulax said:
Welcome. Is that a JS w/Dark Stars or is it a real early model?

hi those are dark stars. it's a 71.

Thanks.

THREAD HIJACK

I expected it to be Dark Stars if only because the only JS II I've seen with a Bi-sonic PU at the neck has a different style PU at the bridge. See this and scroll down for the left handed model Hans posted.

Was it like that when you got it or do you have some experience with the Guild humbuckers on it as well? I'm interested in the difference in sound. My JS II is my least favorite sounding bass (see sig) at the moment and I am wondering whether Dark Stars would give me an improved sound that is significantly different from the Starfire.