I Always Wondered Why Don Felder Was Fired

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thus it goes.

I always felt that Felder was under appreciated. I truly like what Glenn Frey does and my least favourite has always been Don Henley. Not for his talent, there's a look about him that just rubs me wrong.

I'm going to have to pick up that book and polish off my specs.

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
I was never the biggest Eagles fan in the world, but I can appreciate the vast number of great tunes they produced.

Saw JD Souther in NYC last week. What struck me most was this guy, though he wrote "New Kid In Town" & a few other early Eagles hits, could not have been more of an anti-Eagles in delivery and complete lack of polish. Frankly, I really dug it even though it got very sloppy at points, this guy was real and he struggled to find his way like any of us do... it was great to see him attempt to re-create some guitar licks he probably wrote 35 years ago.... hell, who wouldn't struggle??!!!

But, back to the Eagles.... my honest impression, now more than ever, was that they (and by they I really mean Henley & Frey) were great musicians who were smart enough to produce a very marketable, yet glossy, product. But they used everyone along the way to get them were they got. Even Henley's best post-Eagles solo tune was written by Tom Petty.

What cracks me up to this day is how they ever put up with the antics of Joe Walsh. He was completely out of his mind back then, and the Eagles were precision-driven. Man, to be a fly on the wall... although, through all of Walsh, Felder, etc. stealing a good part of the limelight, Henley & Frey always maintained and even gained more financial/royalty control.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Speaking of being a fly on the wall, wouldn't you have liked to have heard some of the conversations bewteen the nose stuck up in the air, if he smiled his face would crack Henley, and Joe Walsh? "Joe, I'm trying to get these people to take us seriously here....and well.....you just keep making those goofy faces!"

I guess what gets my goat the most is that since I dabble in guitar, I've always had a real appreciation for the heartfelt way in which Don Felder plays. If you can't feel the emotion in "I Can't Tell You Why" or the brilliance of the licks and the fact that Felder wrote "Hotel California", you just don't enjoy guitar music. For those reasons, I can't believe that Frey and Henley just kicked him to the curb. Greed will be the ruin of us all.

But you are so right Fungus. The incredible guitar by Walsh, the voice of Tim Schmit, and the genious of Felder were all tremendous contributions to the Eagles. It seems to have gone unnoticed by their bosses. We noticed though, didn't we.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBhS6BRS ... re=related

West

kitniyatran

Reaction score
To me, THE Eagles always included Bernie Leadon & Randy Meisner; Schmit & Walsh were just replacements who I associate with Poco & The James Gang, respectively. :wink:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I suppose it could be argued that Frey and Henley have always been there so that entitles them. I still see it an issue of contribution by all to the Eagles cause and feel the others have been slighted.

West

kitniyatran

Reaction score
I don't disagree; all 7 or however many of them deserve credit for what resulted from their tenure; I just found them more interesting in the pre Joe days, with Bernie, when they weren't quite such BIG STARS. :roll:

danerectal

Reaction score
Have any of you seen "Keep me in your hearts for a while"? It's the Warren Zevon documentary from after he found out he had terminal lung cancer. He sets out to record an album and, among others, Timothy Schmit and Don Henley sing. Henley sounds pretty rough without any backup.

danerectal

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
No I haven't heard that Dane. Any idea where it can be found?

West

I know it originated on VH1. I think they released it on DVD, but all I could find for clips was the video made for one of the songs off "The Wind."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5j5Cy7N6ig

It looks like Joe Walsh was there too. Not to mention Jackson Browne, Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen.