Thunderbass Dual 8417 Tube Head

dick_whiskins

Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking around online and, even on the forum, I have yet to find the ohms on a Thunderbass head with dual 8417 tubes. I'm considering purchasing one, but I need to make sure it's loud enough. I have an 8 ohm 412 cab but the bass player in my band has the Ampeg SVT rig with 8 10's and the other guitarist has a 100 watt Marshall head. I don't think I can go lower than 50 watts as we play DIY shows in basements in addition to venues.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dick_whiskins said:
Hi, I've been looking around online and, even on the forum, I have yet to find the ohms on a Thunderbass head with dual 8417 tubes ... I don't think I can go lower than 50 watts as we play DIY shows in basements in addition to venues.
Hi Dick; the secondary impedance on both the 6L6 and 8417 models is 8 ohms; it's fixed, no extra or switchable output taps. Both versions have a nominal rating of 50 watts. Hope this helps. CJ

dick_whiskins

Reaction score
thanks so much, capn.

by the way, i love the stuff you're doing to your amp. i understand very little electronics, but i hope to learn from it.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Dick; I can honestly say that I haven't blown anything up ............... recently :wink: . Regards, CJ

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Dick,

One other option is to look for a Thunderbass Quantum with a pair of 6550's. That amp power range is higher than the 6L6 or 8417's. I wouild guess 80 W would be a closer estimate.

M