Need help! Feedback issues..

bedell

Reaction score
Not sure the best place to ask this question so I choose here. After all the glowing review about the K&K Pure western pickup I had one installed. Not my guitar howls like a wolf. I am playing a gig in October. I have a Feedbackbuster but it wont fit in my F47. :x

Can you suggest a workaround? Do they sell a Feedbackbuster for non-standard sound holes? The guitar will still feedback whether I am in front or in back of the amp. Yes, I am not pointing the guitar at the amp. My amp is a Fender Acousticsonic Junior. Good amp. Never used it yet. I really dont want to spend additional money on more equipment, so not interested in buying a PARA-DI.

Mark

cjd-player

Reaction score
I've used K&K's in two different guitars with an Acoustasonic Jr.

Never had that problem.

Some thoughts, which you may have already tried:

Is the K&K working alright if you plug into a different amp?
(I'm wondering if there is some sort of short in the K&K.)

Plug the 1/4-inch guitar cable into the left-most channel input (the one without the XLR input), keep the channel volume low and slowly bring up the master volume.

bighouse

Reaction score
what cjd said. The K&K's are prone to feedback but only in rather loud settings. Sounds like something in your signal chain is not doing its job properly.
Bill

bedell

Reaction score
Thanks cjd-player. I was actually controlling the "channel" volume because I found I got LESS background hum/noise than if I started bringing up the master volume. Is the background noise normal?

The K&K is brand new and it was installed by an experienced luthier so I doubt that its the pickup. I am dialing in the settings now so I dont have to do it when I am on stage. I judged that I had to turn the channel volume all the way up to 8 for adequate volume for playing oustide on a stage. Do you think I should still just go direct with the amp if I have to turn up to 8 or have it miked?

-Mark

cjd-player

Reaction score
If my memory serves me correctly, the Acoustasonic does hiss a bit when the master volume is turned up.
However, what you hear in the room in your house will not be the same as at the performance site. So it is important to get familiar with what the controls do, but I'd be surprised if the room settings will be what you end up using for the performance. The EQ setting will likely change depending upon the acoustics of the venue.

But you need to keep your channel volume to a minimum and get the "venue volume" from the master volume to prevent feedback. I don't think I ever used the channel volume much above 4 or 5; typically more around 3.

Its kind of like the gain trims on a mixing board. You only turn the channel volume up until you get feedback. Then back it off a bit. The venue volume is from the master volume. If the maximum master volume setting is not loud enough, then you need to mike the amp into the PA.

bedell

Reaction score
Thanks CJD. As you can tell its been awhile since I have played out.
My venue will be literally out in the open on a stage. I just dont want too much hiss coming through. I was planning on just going direct into the amp but now I am thinking about maybe adding a HUSH pedal. If there are alot of electrical devices on the same circuit then I would think that would be a recipe for even more noice. Do I have other options besides using a HUSH pedal?

Mark

cjd-player

Reaction score
I don't think a hush pedal will kill the hiss from the amp; its IN the amp. Its not from your guitar signal.

If you're playing outside, my suggestion would definitely be to mike the amp. Then the PA sound guy will have control of you in the mix. You won't need to turn the channel volume or the Master Volume very high; just enough to hear yourself. If you are getting a PA send in a wedge monitor, you won't need to hear the amp at all, the miked signal will be in the monitor.

If you play outside without being miked into a PA, you're guessing at how loud to set the amp, and no one can control how loud you are in the mix. Again, I would recommend miking the amp for an outdoor venue.