First Guild Bass

BreederCreature

Reaction score
I'm filling in on bass for my friends band. They have a couple shows coming up and I've always wanted a Guild bass, so here's the perfect excuse to buy one :D

My budget is a bit tight but I've found a 2 on ebay I like:

I love the way this one looks:
http://cgi.ebay.com/semi-hollowbody-ele ... 286.c0.m14

I love the price of this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILD-PILOT-BASS-WI ... 286.c0.m14

Any suggestions? I don't have a specific tone or playing style since guitar is my main thing. I do know I'm buying a fuzz pedal at some point, so I'd like a bass that can work well with that, although probably most can huh?

Thanks everyone!

-Adam

I forgot to mention what they sound like! They're insanely ambient, I guess the only way to tell is to check them out (if you want): http://www.myspace.com/thefilesandfires

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey BC,

Not to burst you bubble, but I wouldn't recomend either of those basses for a beginner.

The "Starfire" is nice looking, but it's headstock heavy and you'll spend most of your time holding the neck up instead of playing. Plus, I don't find the sound of a short scale semi-hollow bass very versatile (sorry Frono!). If your playing just 60's music it would probably be ok.

As much as I love Pilot basses, this early model has a flaw. If you look close at the picture of the body, you'll see that there's no bevel cut on the lower bass bout as a relief for your wrist. (At least I don't see it!) I have a bass like this and it is very uncomfortable to play versus the later models with the edge beveled.

9410_1.jpg

Here's my '85 Pilot with the bevel. (Look close, see it in the glare?)

1985aSB-602.JPG

Of all the different Guild basses, I would recommend a Pilot. Just not the first year '83's.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hmmm.

I have not found my Starfire to be headstock heavy, especially when compared to the JS. It may be that my "ample belly" provides some friction that keeps the body from twisting. My strap is also wider than what a lot of people use. However, Grot has a lot more experience playing standing up for 45+ minutes than I do, so it may very well be that the balance issue doesn't even show up until you've been playing for a while. (Geezers playing casually can sit :wink: ).

As for sound, I can get all the variety I want out of the Hagstrom Bi-Sonic but it would be an awful stretch to say that a vintage SF sounds like a much more recent DeArmond.

The consensus on LTG (and elsewhere) is that you give up something in terms of sound with a 30.5" scale as opposed to a 34" scale. There is debate as to whether you gain anything in terms of playability. The short scale is the only thing that works for me but that could be due to small hands and a lousy left hand technique. That said, a lot of guitar players who play bass with a pick tend to like the short scale.

When Graham was looking for a bass for a friend the folks here recommended a Pilot. I have never heard anything that suggests that was a bad idea although I guess you might want to avoid the '83.

gilded

Reaction score
BreederC,

Tried to open up the band link, didn't work. So, I don't know what kind of music you are shooting for.

As someone who started out on bass 36 years ago, I agree that a 34" bass doesn't sound or feel like a 30.5" bass. That doesn't mean a 34" bass is better for all kinds of music, though. Both scale lengths have their good points and bad points. I see about 3 issues for your consideration: Neck Dive, Different Basses for Different Music and Bass playing from a Guitar Player's Perspective

Neck Dive:
First of all, I have a '66 Starfire Bass and I (partially) agree with Grot that they can be (a little) neck heavy. The good news is that there is a fix; put a strap button at the end of the Bass-side body horn. In fact, that's the way my bass was when I got it (along with a liberal coating of White Krylon; another story), so the 'extra hole mod' doesn't bother me. Yes Sir, just put an extra hole in that Korean DeArmond Starfire copy and 'neck dive' won't be a problem!

Different Basses for Different Music:
I've played long-scale Fender Basses for 35 years. If I want to play Blues, or Rock with an Edge to it, or if I want to Lock in with my Drummer and Kick the Band and the Audience in the Arse, I'd rather have a long scale bass.

Having said that, I love my Starfire Bass to death and it's the last bass I'd part with. I played it in a Jam the other night. We played Hendrix, a Jazz Samba, Blues, Originals, Beatles, stuff like that. It all sounded good, great even. To me, for playing Standards, Beatles, Byrds, even alternate country music like the Old 97s, a Starfire is the ticket. Man, I love that bass. Oh, I recommend Thomastik flats; makes all the difference!

Bass for a Guitar Player:
I play in a trio, guitar, bass and drums. Bill, my 'dedicated bass player', plays Keys on a third of the songs. When that happens, I switch over to bass. If I'm using a long scale, whether it's for one song or a set, it will always take me 20-30 minutes to get the right feel back for playing guitar. If I use a short scale bass, I don't have that problem. So, if most of your Bass Playing will take place in a back and forth setting with your guitar playing (now or in the future), I think you'd be way ahead on a short scale Starfire-type bass.

Finally, you have to have enough Bass Amp for the job, or nothing's gonna sound that good, but that is another story. Good luck!