Keep forgetting to do this Ampeg Gem II Update

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hey all. Took a while, but finally got this beat but sweet baby up to par. Two trips to the tech. Got it on the cheaps, modded with 6L6s and a larger PT. But badly enough done that it broke when I got it. First trip to the bench for proper installation of that PT, ended up ditching the cap can and SS rectifier in place of a tube. Also got an external bias pot added. Second time out to troubleshoot a suspicious noise (which, as it turned out, I caused), and swap out an arcing standby switch. In the meantime, I soft-mounted the reverb tank (to cure persistent reverb feedback, put in JJ 6L6GCs and some NOS preamp tubes, and swapped in a Big Ben speaker in place of the stock CTS.

It's not the prettiest:

Gemini_front.jpg

But may be the only one with a tube rectifier:

Gemini_rectifier.jpg

Tonewise, I am so pleased! Always wanted a Gemini, never found one with enough volume. No lack of volume here. It also has beautiful sounds, the characteristic Ampeg deep, muscular clean tone, real smooth drive higher up. I did like that square magnet CTS, but the Big Ben is a step up in so many ways. Real solid bass. The best part is the feel, probably due to the rectifier. Bouncier, a little softer on the attack compared with the stock versions. It's not the perfect choice for my strat, but IS the perfect choice for tele and the ES-335. Especially the 335. And the Dearmond M75T. A little delay, a little Bad Bob, and channels jumpered. Ah, success!

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hey all. Took a while, but finally got this beat but sweet baby up to par. Two trips to the tech. Got it on the cheaps, modded with 6L6s and a larger PT. But badly enough done that it broke when I got it. First trip to the bench for proper installation of that PT, ended up ditching the cap can and SS rectifier in place of a tube. Also got an external bias pot added. Second time out to troubleshoot a suspicious noise (which, as it turned out, I caused), and swap out an arcing standby switch. In the meantime, I soft-mounted the reverb tank (to cure persistent reverb feedback, put in JJ 6L6GCs and some NOS preamp tubes, and swapped in a Big Ben speaker in place of the stock CTS.

It's not the prettiest:

Gemini_front.jpg

But may be the only one with a tube rectifier:

Gemini_rectifier.jpg

Tonewise, I am so pleased! Always wanted a Gemini, never found one with enough volume. No lack of volume here. It also has beautiful sounds, the characteristic Ampeg deep, muscular clean tone, real smooth drive higher up. I did like that square magnet CTS, but the Big Ben is a step up in so many ways. Real solid bass. The best part is the feel, probably due to the rectifier. Bouncier, a little softer on the attack compared with the stock versions. It's not the perfect choice for my strat, but IS the perfect choice for tele and the ES-335. Especially the 335. And the Dearmond M75T. A little delay, a little Bad Bob, and channels jumpered. Ah, success!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Whoa ... I think I can hear it now ... wow! I see the bracket work seating the power transformer. These and the RRs were being yacked about here a couple of weeks ago. I wondered whether yours, given the fall (and later rise) of the 7591, was a converted 7591 model; 6L6s are notorious for heater requirements not to mention high voltage. If so, the original PT probably wasn't up to the challenge. Dang ... now I want one ... again :evil: :lol: CJ

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Whoa ... I think I can hear it now ... wow! I see the bracket work seating the power transformer. These and the RRs were being yacked about here a couple of weeks ago. I wondered whether yours, given the fall (and later rise) of the 7591, was a converted 7591 model; 6L6s are notorious for heater requirements not to mention high voltage. If so, the original PT probably wasn't up to the challenge. Dang ... now I want one ... again :evil: :lol: CJ