Ashbory Bass (cause I can't seem to spell today)

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ok, so I notice that nobody seems to be able to sell them on ebay. Just out of morbid curiosity, how bad are they?

dklsplace

Reaction score
Re: Asbury Bass

That's Ashbory. And the ones you see not selling on ebay are the reissue DeArmonds which are still being made. I have an original Guild Ashbory & it's a pretty cool thing to have on hand.

wright1

Reaction score
Re: Asbury Bass

Hi Default, I have a original Ashbory in black #AJ1000 which I bought new in 1986. I wanted something that had a nice double bass sound and if you get it playing right the sound is acceptable for something so light. The downside is the silicone strings which need to be talced to stop them sticking to your fingers, so things can get a little messy. They changed the reissues to a longer string length I think but most people do not quite know what to do with one of these seemingly odd instruments. When my son found it in my pile he loved it straight away and it has been all I could do to get it back! I do remember having a lot of trouble with the tuners trying to get it to hold in tune but I would be reluctant to get rid of it as it usually causes a bit of 'what the hell is that?'. The sound can be quite powerful because of the preamp.Obviously you get all of the fretless bass sounds and the tone controls give you a lot of scope to dial in your own tone.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not to mention that its easier to hide from teh wife than a double bass. 8)