The upside of the economy....used guitars

Jack FFR1846

Reaction score
I constantly check out recent guitar trades at my local music store and am seeing an influx of some really good equipment. I do feel bad as I expect that some of it is showing up because the owners are in dire straits with finances and liquidating whatever they can live without. On the brighter side, I'm seeing quite a few high end guitars showing up. I recently went in to simply check out frett wear on a Peavey that I was considering and one of the sales guys pointed out a very recent trade that they got. I went home to get my Jackson to trade and made the deal. 98 Peavey Wolfgang EVH Special. I love the EVH style shapes from Peavey and Ernie Ball. I now have one from each of them.

Wolfgang3.jpg

There are so many other nice guitars that I find that I've got to remember that I'm not getting any of that $700 billion personally. :D

jack

Frosty

Reaction score
I consigned a couple of vintage guitars (no Guilds) just before the economic meltdown, and they are not moving. So, yes, it is a buyer's market. My impression, in general, is that there is not much turnover in the local, small guitar shops.

Bubby

Reaction score
It's a buyers market
I was wondering about that. seems its a buyers market in everything right now. Guess I'll hold on to what I've got. Be hard to sort out the realy sweet deals from the junk that gets dumped on e-bay requiring hidden but expensive repairs. I've been telling my wife for years that vintage guitars are a great investment. Might be time to try it out. I don't see the vintage dealers dropping proces yet though, not on their sites anyway, maybe in person. Aybody seen any of that?

Jack FFR1846

Reaction score
I am finding dealers coming down on prices. I went back in to the same shop a week after the Wolfgang purchase and got a very good trade in on a low end amp towards a low priced, much nicer amp. Not give-away, but a better deal than I expected.

I'm on the hunt for certain guitars right now (Ernie Ball Musicman John Petrucci) and missed on at another location of this same store for about what they go for on Craigslist when they come up.

Some will deal a bit on new stuff. Even the big boys are getting good with % off coupons in the mail or special event sales.

jack