Mahar guitar on youtube

Frosty

Reaction score
Guildmark stopped by youtube and suggested I provide some background to LTG on the Mahar guitar I play here.

The guitar is handmade by a New England luthier who is also a good friend. We met years ago when our kids were in kindergarten, he started building guitars and mandolins, oh... 5 or 6 years ago maybe. The guitar is mahogany with a redwood top! Sort of a jumbo OM feel, with a full profile, old Gibson style, neck. I believe it's a long 25.4" scale. Standard X-brace. I think the guitar has a balanced, bright sound for fingerpicking. The guitar was strung with some sort of coated PB strings. I had the guitar on loan for the weekend for the purpose of making a recording he could use as a demo.

Mr. Mahar is a member of ASIA and other wood-geek organizations. One of his colleagues is Al Carruth, for whom I have also made a recording which should appears as part of the soundtrack of a DVD on guitar building techniques. Al has devised a way to "tune" the soundboard of a guitar using a wave generator and some fairy dust... something like that. :wink:

Yes, people loan me guitars. :D

Hmm... my pup wasn't around during the recording. Must have been outside chasing chipmunks again.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Frosty said:
... other wood-geek organizations ... . has devised a way to "tune" the soundboard of a guitar using a wave generator and some fairy dust... something like that...
Man I love it when people talk technical around here; really fine stuff Frosty and gratifying to see both your hands working so well. CJ