Cool Junior Wells clip (buddy guy/Starfire content)

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Like the way that Junior grabs Buddy's fretboard to choke off the solo? :shock:

Great tune!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't know what it is about those two guys, but yeah, "tension" seems to be some of it! Amazing manic energy though, and it's somehow decidedly "electric" blues!

I'm regretting again that I sold that '64 SFIV I used to have.

BluesDan

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that one Walter. Junior was "da man" when it came to blues harmonica, no doubt. Powerful stage presence, didn't get much better than him with Buddy Guy. One of those performers that I really regret not getting to see in person before they passed.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wasn't the Guild a "phase" for him though Darryl? Pretty sure he played a 50's maple neck strat before the Guild too.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
I sure do like Buddy's sound before he went strat. And I'm not just saying that because this time he has a Guild.

I must say that I'll take BG any old way that he's served up !

And I would have to say that I prefer him in the Strat era...... not because of the "guitar thing", but because he just has a more appealing "aura". Something to do with maturity, less "anger", the serenity of an older player; I dunno...... one of those nebulous kinda things.

What I REALLY love, is BG on acoustic !!

One of the great mysteries of the music business is the lack of recording opportunities that BG has been offered in his career... the guy is ROYALTY. I'm honoured and truly thankful that I know about Buddy Guy.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Funny how we all like different things eh Coastie? I like all those Cobra records guys when they were younger, Buddy Guy, Otish Rush, Magic Sam - I really like the manic, slightly more chaotic, electric energy they had back then.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
Funny how we all like different things eh Coastie? I like all those Cobra records guys when they were younger, Buddy Guy, Otish Rush, Magic Sam - I really like the manic, slightly more chaotic, electric energy they had back then.

Yes Walter it is..... vive la difference !

Of those West-side guys, I give Magic Sam most of my attention. What a truly awful tragedy !

My most revered player from that era though, is undoubtedly Hubert Sumlin.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Vive la difference indeed, and I really like all of it when it comes down to it.

Hubert Sumlin is amazing indeed.