C Jam Blues. Don't let Coastie hear this.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN7mB0yw0eA
Is that a Guild starchtop on the right?

If you didn't like that, here's one you're sure not to enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teckYeLQ-LU
Is that an Artist Award in back?

This next tune is by Coastie's favorite steel player. He hasn't released it yet. Can you guess who it is?

Clip #1. 25sec. Jazz.... yecch !

Clip #2 7sec. You were right. My comment might get me excommunicated !

Next clip......... I don't wanna know ! But I'll probably look anyway.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
I"m not following? I take it you don't like Steel Coastie? :?:

Bit of a running joke Walter, between the Hatt and me !

It's complicated......... I loathe caterwauling "cowboy" steel, and Hawaiian noise pollution. But a lot of my very favourite tunes feature a bit of steel guitar.

Hop Wilson and Dave Gilmour (how's that for a contrast !) are great on steel guitar.... or, at least, they produce a sound that is music to the Coastal ear !

But, with a few "Abbey" beers inside of me, who knows what I might groove to !!!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: I love cowboy Jazz on steel (anybody into Jimmie Rivers and Vance Terry here?), and prewar hawaiian music, guys like Sol Hoopi and King Benny Nawahi are some of my favorite music to listen to!! Oh well....

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I love cowboy Jazz on steel (anybody into Jimmie Rivers and Vance Terry here?), and prewar hawaiian music, guys like Sol Hoopi and King Benny Nawahi are some of my favorite music to listen to!! Oh well....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever getsya through the night (with apologies to John Winston L ! )

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
anybody into Jimmie Rivers and Vance Terry here?

Vance Terry was the first steeler I ever heard. He was only a teenager playing on a Sacramento radio station in the Billy Jack Wills band, which I like even more than Bob's band. There are two Billy Jack CDs from those radio shows.

The first live music I ever heard (I was four years old) was at the swimming pool of Wills Point Plunge, a Sacramento club owned by the Wills boys. It was a trio. I don't know who, but I like to think it was Patsy Cline, John Entwhistle, and Buddy Rich. Tiny Moore, my first music teacher, was in that band--decades before he ended his career with Haggard's band.

Buddy Emmons wrote a song about Wills Point (when he wasn't busy breaking both legs by jumping off a roof and missing the pool, or shooting one leg when practicing his quick draw).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKD_YwktbLM

The only Jimmie Rivers CD I have is great except that Jimmie is playing a 12-string solidbody, which ruins it for me. Last I heard, he was living 50 miles east of Sacramento in Placerville, which used to be called Hangtown because executions in the 19th century were carried out there (before executions were moved to Folsom and done with the more progressive method--gas).

Vance Terry's absence from the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame is an atrocity, especially when considering some of the clowns who got in. Terry's long alcoholic disintegration and his death in a flop house across the street from the California legislature is too sad to go into.

Get those Billy Jack Wills CDs.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
:shock:
I'm impressed Darryl. Wow.

You mean this Jimmie Rivers CD?
41RQJEDQ0VL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

He only plays the 12 string on a couple of cuts, doesn't he? No matter, I really love that one.

I'll look into those Billy Jack Wills ones, Tiny Moore ànd Vance Terry, yes!!

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Walter,

It's not even in the same universe with playing for Wanda Jackson.

Is that album the version with all of the wild stories? Like Jimmie driving off a bridge into the bay, surviving miraculously, and then getting chewed for being late for the gig?

hf

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awww, shucks. I won't deny that was a major thrill, but hey, you witnessed some players that have passed and are never coming back, and some historically great ones, at that.

Can't remember that particular story, it's been a while since I read the liner notes, but yes, there's some pretty wild stories in there.. :lol:
It's one of my favorite cowboy Jazz CD's to listen to, because it has a laid back feel that I think some other western swing bands miss - and Rivers sounds eerily like Charlie Christian at times.
Even if the tempos are a little more laid back and the display of virtuosity not as "in your face", I much prefer it to Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant's recordings - the cartoony quality of those honestly gets on my nerves after a while, as great as the musicians are.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Walter,

You might like Bob Wills more than Billy Jack. Bob was more influenced by the black jazzers along the Mississippi corridor--from west Texas up to Chicago. Billy Jack was hearing the earliest hints of rock.

hf

gilded

Reaction score
Mornin' , Darryl!

Hey, I've heard one of those Billy Jack CDs, but not both. Wonderful stuff. Didn't Bob lift Billy Jack's band at some point??

Harry aka gilded

gilded

Reaction score
Lifted as in stole, purloined, used them for his band, etc.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
No, Bob started Wills Point in northern Calif because the Texas Ploughboys were so big there. It was actually a kind of musical commune. Most of the guys lived there and jammed with locals like Vance. So Bob saw a way to have two bands, one in Texas and one in Calif. Some of the guys wanted to go back to Texas, and some wanted to stay in Calif. I think only Tiny Moore and two others were from Bob's band--the rest from California.

gilded

Reaction score
DH,

I'm sure you know more about it than me, 'cause you knew more of those guys than me. My information is third hand, in that I heard it from my one friend who knew Tiny Moore back when the world was younger, about 30 years ago.

Tell you what, he's out of town for about 10 days. I'll get in touch with him when he gets back and see what he was basing his information on.

In the meantime, as ever, thanks so much for bringing up all the cool history. I always get a kick out of what you write here at LTG, my friend.

Speaking of steel guitar, an acquaintance in Austin told me he bought a double neck MSA 12-string the other day? Is that possible? Did I get that right??

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
HG,

Put a computer in front of me and I'm not a weird old boring professor anymore.

I don't know if MSA made a D-12, but some companies did. But they are rare because you don't need that many strings, and because a D-12 is so heavy. A D-10 is bad enough. A lot of the old steels just stay in homes and studios now because the new ones are lighter and easier to carry.

MSA stood for Morrell, Seymour, and Anderson. Bobbe Seymour is a miraculous talent in a lot of areas, including planes and cars. If I could drop everything, I'd write a book about him. Here is a list of his accomplishments just in steel.
http://www.putbobbeinthesghof.com/

One area in which he is not an expert is table saws. The middle finger on his left hand got bent upwards ages ago, but he adjusted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XXbY_gBmKo

Then a few monthes ago, he maimed the other three fingers on his left hand. They couldn't salvage his third finger, so they cut it off and replaced it with is fourth finger. Also, they cut off half of his first finger. So here he is playing with two and a half fingers on his left hand. The precision of a slide is a lot more exact than fretting with a finger. And he can still slant the bar s you see at 1:08 and 1:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNtklAfE ... re=related

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coastie,

That reminds me. I've been meaning to ask you, since our sense of humor is so similar, Was your father in California in 1948?

hf