8 String?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is documentation for what is claimed to be a late 70's/early 80's Guild 8 string bass. That designation has been questioned. I tend to agree.

First, I cannot recall seeing any catalogs or other documentation that listed an 8 string bass by Guild. (Isn't it true that except for some 5 string Pilots, all other Guild basses were 4 string?) Second, the logo does not give me warm feelings and I suspect the logo was added rather than a Guild part added to an otherwise non-Guild bass. Knobs and bridge don't really look like anything Guild used and the body shape looks familiar but not Guild like.

So, if it is a Frankenstein, where did the Guild neck come from?

Thanks.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm no expert on Guild basses, but there isn't one part on it outside of the inlay that looks Guild. I've also never seen a Guild with a bolt-on neck. Factor out the inlay, and my gut says early 80s Japanese. However. . . as I said in the beginning. . .

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wouldn't think it's a Guild. looks like the inlay was just stuck on.

Although, I do have a Guild with thoses knobs and the bridge is similar to a Pilot bridge.

JP, Guild Pilot basses have bolt on necks.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
The Guilds of Grot said:
Wouldn't think it's a Guild. looks like the inlay was just stuck on.

Although, I do have a Guild with thoses knobs and the bridge is similar to a Pilot bridge.

JP, Guild Pilot basses have bolt on necks.
See. . . shows you how much I know! :oops: