How Do You Play A Song Like This? And Not Miss?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I started to post the same song Jeff. "The Wind and the Wheat" has always been one of my favorite Keagge songs. We saw him perform last year at a local college, can't wait to see him again.

Great bio on Keaggy.......especially the rumored interview with Hendrix on Johnny Carson, when Carson supposedly asked Hendrix what it fely like to be the best guitarist in the world. Hendrix said, "You'd have to ask Phil Keaggy." Keaggy denies it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Keaggy

West

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Jeff said:
...I think the song is more than one track, some rhythym & bass laid down & lead laced over.
Might be a track, but he can use his JamMan or whatever to loop backing tracks on the fly, as well as playing like he has 24 fingers & thumbs, instead of 9.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
If you've ever seen him, his whole show is laying tracks over others on the fly.....sometimes as many as 4 at a time. Just brilliant!

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
MandoSquirrel said:
Jeff said:
...I think the song is more than one track, some rhythym & bass laid down & lead laced over.
Might be a track, but he can use his JamMan or whatever to loop backing tracks on the fly, as well as playing like he has 24 fingers & thumbs, instead of 9.

Yes, that's kind of the way I heard it, more sophisticated than it seems. Good thing he lost a finger on the right hand, the fingers on the left keepin plenty busy, really precise, 20% loss of fingers likey would be noticed.

kitniyatran

Reaction score
You could try lopping off a digit, PK & Jerry Garcia both chopped off the end of the right middle finger; then became guitar heroes. Or, there's Django, fusing left hand ring & pinky into one, mostly non functioning, digit, then playing like his 2&1/2 fingers were 6 or more! :lol:

BluesDan

Reaction score
That tune is on "Sounds of Wood & Steel" Volume 3. Its part of a Windham Hill Collection of CD's. I have all three. Awesome stuff, I would highly reccomend checking them out. It was a joint effort between Taylor Guitars and Windham Hill showcasing some of the best acoustic talent of today. Doyle Dykes, Leo Kottke, Michael Hedges, Russ Freeman just to name a few. One of my all time favorites is Bob Taylor's cover version of Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush" on Volume 2. (Although even he admits he is a better guitar builder than player). Great, great stuff on that CD collection.