Sourcing Beige Tolex for 67/68 Thunder 1

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
Howdy Forums!
I got a pretty smashing deal on a Beige T1-12 (actually a 10'.. gotta love those part numbers) on ebay last night http://tinyurl.com/5smg9b. Of course it hasn't arrived yet, but based on the pictures I may need to source a bit of Tolex for some re-covering. It's kind of hard to match colors on the internet so I was wondering if anyone knows a source for matching Tolex they've seen in person?

Ian

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Ian, welcome to LTG, and congratulations on your new Guild amp! Good luck on your search for matching tolex ... I can't say that I've ever seen the beige in the aftermarket; perhaps someone else has. CJ

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
You might have to get creative. I've heard that you could use vinyl dye from an auto parts store to recolor plastics. I've never used it on tolex, but I've seen it done on gaming computers. As a dye, it soaks right into the plastic, so, even if it gets scratched, the color doesn't get scraped off. I have no idea if it'll react to poly or lacquer.
I have some old samples on the workbench. If I can get my act in gear, I'll give it a shot.

G

Unregistered
Huh. I hadn't thought of dying Tolex to match. If you get a chance to try them out I'd love to hear what the outcome is.

I am hoping it won't come to playing chemist though; I'll have a better idea once it arrives, but based on pictures, the ASC04 Tolex from these folks: http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech11.html seems to be a close-ish match.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Ian; that's early 60s Fender white; there just isn't any 'dirty rose' or 'beige' with that pink tint or whatever that color is; too few Guild amps with that particular color for anyone to mess with making replacement tolex for them. There's always black ... goes with anything! CJ

matsickma

Reaction score
I had a similar problem a while back. I matched up the "tolex" on a T1 like yours and also an early model Thunderbird by going to store that sells cloth. I forget the name of the chain store that is orientated to worman who do sewing, crafts, etc. I picked a tan naugauhide that matched pretty close. I covered the back baffels of both of these amps that way. While your there you can also pick up the furry cloth that is used inside guitar cases. I have refurbed a few of those too.

My wife tells me the store I referenced is JoAnn Fabrics.

M

G

Unregistered
Oh man.. every time I hear the word naugahyde I can't help but think of this:

How many naugas indeed!

ga810622.gif

In all seriousness-- It looks like that pinkish tolex is way out of production. I sent a few inquires around to see if I can rustle some up but it's not looking too hopeful.

:/

Guildmark said:
How many naugas would you have to skin to get enough hyde for a Thunder 1?

matsickma

Reaction score
As another point...I would not replace the tolex on the amp. On the side with the bubbles you can fix this by carefully slicing a few cuts to get the air out and then applying adhesive under the tolex. When completed press it down and wipe any excess away. Then put a board on it with a weight to keep it flat until it cures. If done carefully you will barely notice a repair. I have done that a few times. If in the process you expose a little wood then remove the back baffel with the tolex and cut a small piece from the inside overlap and use that to cover the exposure.

M

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
+1

Use one of those plastic squeegee things they use for applying window tint to squeeze the air out. When I worked for the vending machine factory, I used to put vinyl on the doors and that's what we used.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Ian said:
Oh man.. every time I hear the word naugahyde I can't help but think of this:

How many naugas indeed!

ga810622.gif

In all seriousness-- It looks like that pinkish tolex is way out of production. I sent a few inquires around to see if I can rustle some up but it's not looking too hopeful.

:/

Guildmark said:
How many naugas would you have to skin to get enough hyde for a Thunder 1?
"Ah! The old jokes are the best!" - James Taylor

G

Unregistered
Well after a slight delay due to the thanksgiving holiday the amp arrived yesterday. The tolex puckering actually looks much less pronounced in person than it did in the pictures on ebay. I'll post a few shots after I fix it up a bit (hopefully this weekend).

Now time to lay in a supply of good 6GW8s-- it came with a pair of pretty rough looking 6GW8s that the paint has mostly come off of and no 12AX7s, at least the 6CA4 looks alright.

:roll: