12-string 'versus' 6-string

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing whether anyone has had to make a decision about playing a particular song on 12 string vs. 6 string. Some songs couldn't/shouldn't be played on anything but a 12 (i.e. Hotel California intro; Walk Right In; Green Green; most of The Seekers repertoire).
Are there songs in your book that you will only perform on one type of guitar or another? Like blues or bluegrass?
Are there some on which it doesn't matter? Like maybe gospel or anything around a campfire?

I often try to arrange my set to keep songs together that I feel are best suited for one or the other, just to avoid changing guitars too much and distracting the audience. But sometimes, I really want to insert a song in the set that I've only ever played on 12, but I'm wearing my 6, or vice versa. It's worked out for the better sometimes, didn't work well on some, and other times made no difference at all.

All 2¢ worth should be forwarded to Don to help keep the forum running. :D

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
I only have a 6-string, so it's an easy decision! :)

cheers
Ross

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I find myself adapting songs to the 12er, Mark. Probably 75% of my Ninfa's set leans toward the 12. I know there are those tunes that are supposedly meant only for the 6er & visa versa, but what the heck... I can't play like those folks anyway, so I do the best I can with the guitar I've got in hand...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mark,

I don't perform enough to really give an informed opinion.

I do know that there are songs that don't sound right (to me) on the 12 (and vice versa), but most songs work well on either. That said, I noodle most of the time on the 12s, so that remains my normal choice.

I think that I'd kind of bum out a bit if I were trying to play "Wish you were here" or "Give a little bit" or even "Beck's Bolero" on a 6. Songs like these really need the chorusing and octave sound to be full. Just my $0.02. I'll go donate to LTG tomorrow. :D :D

Metalman

Reaction score
Guildmark,

In answer to your original post, I go from one extreme to another. I use my F-212 10-string on almost as many songs as I do on my Yamaha nylon acoustic-electric.
There are certain songs that definitely need that 12-string twang, like the ones you mentioned, but in the end, it is the PLAYER who will make the song.

I was driven to a 12-string by the absence of the guitarists we had in our guitar ensemble at the beginning of our tenure.

Our lineup was ususally 5 -6 guitars (all steel string, mind you), and one bass player. For the most part, we had as many as 3 - 4 guitarists playing the melody on most of our songs. The remaining 2 or 3 would play the rhythm parts. Sounded really nice, like a couple of 12-string guitars banging away.

Then they all drifted away, and I was left with just three musicians: 2 on guitar, 1 on bass. I played all the leads, and still do. Well, I wanted that full sound that we had, so that is when I looked into getting a 12-string for all those leads.

Now, when we play out, it all depends on my mood, I guess. Sometimes I will do the same songs on the Yamaha nylon stringed as I do on the 12-string (or, rather, 10-string).

It's what you DO with a song, and how you attack it, that makes a difference. More important than the tool you use.

As an example, check out these links, they were recorded just a few weeks ago. In particular, check out "Dance With Me". It really should be played with a 12-string, but here it is with a nylon string.

Like I said, I float back and forth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzbYucYHInQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWPJuSqo ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npLa2xUj ... re=related

I don't have any performance yet recorded with the 10-string, but I will get it soon.

Enjoy!

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks, Dennis!

I see your point. It might take a few minutes to become acclimated to hearing a samba on a steel 12 string, but it's my own mind that's trapped in its expectation and experience of what a samba sounds like. Thanks for the reminder to be open to new ideas and ways of expression!

Your stuff is excellent! Thanks to Jeff for sending a few links the other day!

Metalman

Reaction score
Guildmark said:
Thanks, Dennis!

I see your point. It might take a few minutes to become acclimated to hearing a samba on a steel 12 string, but it's my own mind that's trapped in its expectation and experience of what a samba sounds like. Thanks for the reminder to be open to new ideas and ways of expression!

Your stuff is excellent! Thanks to Jeff for sending a few links the other day!

A Samba on a steel 12-string - now THAT'S pushin' it . . . :)

Thanks for your comments. YouTube is a great medium.

sparks

Reaction score
I use my Guild 12 on a few songs that just wouldn't soung right on a 6, like Behind Blue Eyes, Wooden Ships, take it Easy, Hotel California, a guitar version of Candle in the Wind, and more.
I usually try a song on both and see which ones lend themselves to the 12 string. In terms of perofming and songlist, I group my songs the way they work best together and then if I have to change guitars, the audience will understand...besides sometime the short break and the visual of changing guitars gets their attenetion back...Ed Sparks

http://mysite.verizon.net/emsparks/index.htm

1980 Guild JF212XL 12 string
1990 Guild JF30 6 string
1994 Gibson J100 extra
2004 Gibson J160E
1976 Gibson Les Paul Signature
1976 Martin D-28
1980 Martin D-28-12
1948 Epiphone Zenith archtop
1936 Regal dobro
Several guitars I made myself including an electric 12 string
I own 30 instruments total

BluesDan

Reaction score
sparks said:
I use my Guild 12 on a few songs that just wouldn't soung right on a 6, like Behind Blue Eyes, Wooden Ships, take it Easy, Hotel California, a guitar version of Candle in the Wind, and more.
I usually try a song on both and see which ones lend themselves to the 12 string. In terms of perofming and songlist, I group my songs the way they work best together and then if I have to change guitars, the audience will understand...besides sometime the short break and the visual of changing guitars gets their attenetion back...Ed Sparks

1980 Guild JF212XL 12 string
1990 Guild JF30 6 string
1994 Gibson J100 extra
2004 Gibson J160E
1976 Gibson Les Paul Signature
1976 Martin D-28
1980 Martin D-28-12
1948 Epiphone Zenith archtop
1936 Regal dobro
Several guitars I made myself including an electric 12 string
I own 30 instruments total

Pete & I would have to respectfully disagree with Behind Blue Eyes not sounding "right" on a 6-er............ :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42U8FeLp_y4

sparks

Reaction score
Hey man, Pete can play it on whatever he wants and it's gold! I agree, I sometimes play it on my Gibson J100 6 string, usually right from another song, a little applause and I'll go right into it...but the song does have a nice "ring" to it on the 12 string! What a great video, thanks for hooking me up to it. Edward

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
I don't use a 12 too often, but it's just the right instrument for some of the Hawaiian tunes we do. The majority of the tunes we do in that band are more like 1930s-50s hapa-haole swing, (pop tunes from that era with Hawaiian themes and imagery) so an old archtop seems to work well for that, but on the more traditional songs and non-swing tunes the 12 played fingerstyle is just the ticket. Very nice for D-tuned slide work too but I'm still leaving that under-developed skill at home.

sparks

Reaction score
Thanks, my son the computer genius, made the site for me and is teaching me how to maintain and update it! The "Willin'" video was made at a recent benefit for the Office on Disabilities for our state. My friend David Nolte and I played a three hour set and that's him singing that one.

What kind of Guild is that you are playing in your icon? Edward

BluesDan

Reaction score
sparks said:
What kind of Guild is that you are playing in your icon? Edward

That would be an X-700. I'll let you play it if you have your son make me a website like yours.....nice job! I'm still figuring out how to post sound clips.......it's my New Years resolution......
:wink:
Oh...and if you meant Grahams icon, I believe that is a Koho. :lol:
P1010067.jpg

12stringer

Reaction score
Since I only own 12 strings all songs are played on 12ers. I have yet to find a song that doesn't sound good (to me) on a 12er. But then again I play mostly folk and rock songs and I do very little finger picking...I do mostly pick picking like roger Hodgson does...it sounds like I am finger picking when I use that style. So I guess what I am sayin is I have adapted to a 12ers characteristics and so far there are no songs that I would say a 12 er can't handle...except for maybe classical style fingerpicking...but then again there is Leo Kotke, and I haven't yet ventured into using those metal fingerpicks like I have seen Roger Mcguinn use. So many songs to learn! :lol:

sparks

Reaction score
I use a plastic thumbpick and metal banjo picks on the guitar, both 6 and 12...that's what I like about my Guild JF212xl, I can use those picks for fingepicking on it and it is so easy. McGuinn actually plays with a flat pick and two metal fingerpicks. I like the old Nationals and mine are bout 30 years old! Recently Dunlop has come out with a vintage style national metal fingerpick and i have gotten some of those and they are great.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
More 12-string naturals (pardon any redundancies):
Rings, Louise, Wish You Were Here, Mr. Tambourine Man, Peaceful Easy Felling, As Tears Go By, Wild Horses, Learnin' to Fly, Mr. Bojangles, to name but a few.

Joe
:)