Just picked up a nice companion for my starfire

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I'm getting a '65 Starfire I bass pretty soon here and just stumbled upon a nice companion for it. It's a 1970 Framus Sorento 4. It feels almost identical to the Starfire (neck, smooth action, body, etc). Gets a really cool sound too with its dual single-coils. Controls are volume, tone, and bass. 3-way selector. The coolest part is it's made in Germany, just like me:) Traded my Gretsch Special Jet for it. Gentlemen, it's been a good day for me.
DSC00884.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00888.jpg

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty rockin.
BTW the F-Hole is painted on, but it is a full hollowbody, in case y'all were wondering.

bassman10096

Reaction score
Very nice. It definitely does belong in the Starfire sound family. You are reminding me that someday, I want to take home a really good Framus.

BTW, the painted-on F hole really tickles me. I think it's just delightfully psychotic to go to all the trouble of fabricating a hollow body, and then just painting on a phony air scoop. Brings to mind the image of two guys in a horse suit dancing to a live, symphony orchestra. Didn't Gretsch or another, more mainstream builder paint their F holes, too?

Congratulations. Thats a nice catch. :mrgreen:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I think Gibson painted the f holes on their violin basses at some point. My painted f hole is bigger :D

bassman10096

Reaction score
...and cooler, and German. You are right - I was thinking about the EB-1 with its ersatz f hole (on a solid body bass, so a real f hole would have been a bigger puzzle). Seems to me some of the Gretsch hollow bodies have painted f's, too...

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice one!

Yes, Gretsch also had models with painted F holes. Chet Atkins Country Gentleman, maybe others.