another new member...

Reaction score
with some questions. i have a '69(i think, because that is what the schematic that came with it says), thunderbird 2X12. it works prefectly, has all of the original guild tubes, and jensen concert series speakers, but what problems do i need to look out for, i do get a shock every once in a while, but switching the polarity always fixes it. i dont think i want to sell it, but a general idera of what this is worth, so i know how careful to be with it.
i am gonna try to attach some pics
thanks
billy

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
billdacook said:
... what problems do i need to look out for, I do get a shock every once in a while, but switching the polarity always fixes it...
Hi Billy and welcome to LTG; you are already experiencing what you need to watch out for. Your amp has a Death Cap - a capacitor between one leg one of the AC power to your amp and the chassis - that is leaking AC to the chassis. You need to stop screwing with it and take it somewhere and get the capacitor removed and a 3-wire power cord on it if you can't do it yourself. Otherwise, you're gonna wind up like Keith Relf. If you don't, what the amp is worth won't matter much. To someone local, if in good conditon, and if the later grey/black model, $325-$400; less on eBay. Good luck! CJ