Best High "E" End Responce Amps List

nanccinut

Reaction score
Sorry gang if this is a bit off topic but looked like the amp expert section was where to ask this question.
For my Guild D-35 I am living with my older solid state,65amp Montreal made Univox (don't laugh :shock: ) with a ten inch speaker until it is sold on Kijiji Peterborough page!
As for older amps that give a great sound I have been told to track down another Canadian built amp called a Yorkville Bassmaster with a 15inch speaker. To me who as you know have been working hard to improve the high " E "end sound logic tells me that is the wrong way to go moving to yet another two speaker larger sizes and I should be thinking 10 inch speaker to improve substain on the high end.
Is there any proven theory that somone can show me on a gragh that shows this is the wrong direction to go! Tests proven beat personal favourtism any day in my book. Thats why I went with a Tusq saddle after lots of footwork.-nanccinut

dklsplace

Reaction score
Re: Yorkville Bassmaster

Can't give you any "data" on the subject, but Yorkville is seriously underrated & makes some great gear. Personally, I think every one of my guitars sounds better with a 15", but I do use them in combination with other amps, electric & acoustic.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

dklsplace said:
...Yorkville is seriously underrated & makes some great gear.
As are Traynor including the '70s(?) YB-2A and many of the older Garnet Amplifiers. Garnet's site includes a page where they track eBay results on their older gear.

Hi nanccinut: if you are looking to emphasize treble, the speaker characteristics of interest would be frequency response and efficiency and not necessarily diameter. But unless one of them made a purpose-built acoustic guitar amp, the chances are that none of the Yorkvilles, Traynors, or Garnets, without a preamp in the guitar or a stand-alone preamp, would be suitable. For example, the Yorkville Bassmaster's circuit is designed to promote bass at the expense of treble rendering the speaker's ability to handle high frequency irrelevant.

You might want to look at any of the acoustic guitar amps that are on the market; several members here own Marshalls, Fender Acoustisonics, and other amps that, because they have higher gain characteristics in their first stages, are better suited to acoustic guitar. They also typically have a more elaborate tone controls and built-in functions and speakers that are better-matched to their purpose.

CJ

nanccinut

Reaction score
Best High -E SIDE AMPS

Here is the top 8 resonable priced to high priced amps list starting from what I understand to help bring the high E end more dominate in a D-35 Guild :!:

1 -Behringer Ultrasonic ACX900 2x90Watts ( German made) -may be the overall in-house winner from feedback
2-AER -Almost anthing made by them according to feedback by
the great support staff at Grapghtech (Tusq saddles&pins)
3 -LR Baggs Core -1 Acousticube
4 - CrateCA-60
5 - Traynor YB-2A
6 - older Garet amps -sorry gang looks like technology is
advancing past that good old sound era and yes its all about
the in factory testing eqipment of todays age where
manufactures make sure they get what the guitar player wants
before its put into a production line!
7 - Fender Acoustasonic Junior
8 -Yorkville Bassmaster 15'speaker-should you be looking to
enhance the bass end of your Guild

Please help me fill in beteen the numbers and will edit your pic.
Please send me a PM with the brand,model#and speaker size and will edit in for us D-35 owners for our New Years shopping wish list with huge thanks -nanccinut

dklsplace

Reaction score

capnjuan said:
...the Yorkville Bassmaster's circuit is designed to promote bass at the expense of treble rendering the speaker's ability to handle high frequency irrelevant.

Exactly.....which is why I use a good 1x15 in combination with another amp, depending on which guitar I'm playing.

Reaction score
I agree with the previous post that recommends that you look at some of the acoustic guitar amps. They typically are set up as full range amps, more "hi fi" in nature than most guitar amps. That's because they are trying to pass the true voice of an acoustic guitar but at a higher volume. Most guitar amps have a distinct voicing, Marshall, Fender, Mesa. High end response usually goes to about 6kHz on most guitar speakers (look at the Jensen or Emminence web site for response curves). Acoustic amps often have a tweeter to give more natural overtones.

An alternative is to look at something like a self powered PA speaker. There are a bunch which have built in amps, and they are also more full range, usually something like 55- 15,000. That should cover the range of a D35. Remember, dreadnoughts often have a deep sound to start with.