New Guild

nutmegger1957

Reaction score
Just picked up a Guild Model # GAD-50ATB and wondered what the "ATB" stands for. Anyone know?

According to Musiciansfriend.com the back-n-sides are supposed to be "Solid Indian Rosewood." is that true if this is an "ATB?"

I had gone to a guitar shop today that is fifty miles from my home, just because they carried Blueridge guitars, and I wanted to try them out.

I can tell you that I didn't find a single Blueridge that I cared for, and I tried at LEAST 6 different models.

They had a Gibson made in Canada that was priced at $979.00 and you might think that was a great price for a Gibson, but the sound wasn't all there.

I tried a bunch of different guitars and was getting ready to leave the place, (I had brought my AJ500ME/VS to trade in), and I decided that I liked my Guild GAD-25 so much, I'd look at the Guilds he had hanging there.

This Guild GAD-50 had FANTASTIC projection; was set up perfectly, and played like a dream. He had a sticker on it of 988.00 and gave me $500.00 for my AJ500.

The Guild was so much better than anything I picked up today. Thanks again, Guild folks!!

nutmegger1957

Reaction score
Ok, with apologies for my crappy photo taking:

P1010018.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010026.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010027.jpg

nutmegger1957

Reaction score
Unbelievably loud, yes.......my GAD 25 impressed me a few months ago when I bought it, and I have been thoroughly satisfied with their feel as well.

nutmegger1957

Reaction score
Ok, this is the first time I have received a new guitar with the End Pin NOT in the hole. (It was in a bag in the pocket of the case, and so I took it out and stuck it in the hole).

I'll presume (unless one of you wants to educate me differently) that the reason it was not "in place" was because some new owners would like to have that hole accessible for putting in a plug socket for amplification. Is that a correct assumption?

Also, I only stuck the End Pin in the hole, (I'm not going to amplify the guitar through internal means), .....should I wood glue it in?????

I also put together a video on this new Guild, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHq_ErLZgwo

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi Nutmegger and welcome to LTG. Beautiful git!!!

The end pin is removed for shipping purposes in case the box is dropped on end. Not pretty if endpin meets hard surface! Your option to simply insert with mild pressure or lightly glue...

nutmegger1957

Reaction score
I put a light coating of wood glue on the end pin yesterday, and inserted it. Should be just fine.

Also switched over to my favorite strings (Elixir Nanowebs) yesterday, as well. Sounds great, (IMHO)

Thanks,

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple of sets of Elixer strings over the holidays. I had used them just occasionally because they cost so dang much, but after putting a set on the 212er, I may have to start skipping a meal (not a bad idea after putting on almost six pounds over the holidays) so I can afford more!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Scratch said:
Hi Nutmegger and welcome to LTG. Beautiful git!!!

The end pin is removed for shipping purposes in case the box is dropped on end. Not pretty if endpin meets hard surface! Your option to simply insert with mild pressure or lightly glue...

In the spirit that there are no stupid questions...

Isn't the end pin also what holds the strap? If so, wouldn't mild pressure set up a situation where the truly paranoid would always be worrying about the pin falling out and the guitar doing what guitars do when one end of the strap fails?

nutmegger1957

Reaction score
Scratch: With regard to your concerns about the cost of Elixirs.....I can think of a few brands out there that cost a LOT more, and don't sound as sweet.

That's true in the world of guitars as well. I've found mid-range instruments that equal or beat the sound of guitars that some folks pay thousands for.
(I bought a Taylor once for a couple of grand that was a real disappointment).

You're probably not changing your strings all that often, so the cost is not an issue really.......when you become rich and famous, the cost won't matter anyway.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I have not yet been satisfied with Elixers. Many folks are, and I have tried them several times in my efforts to be open-minded and objective. But I can't love them. A good friend of mine buys his sets by the case to dress his three Taylors. He gave me a pack of Light (12 -53) Nanowebs for Christmas. I put them on my D-55 last night, still trying to be open-minded since I had not tried the Nanowebs. They are supposed to be much more supple than the Polywebs. So, here it is: They feel much better than the Poly's, and they don't squeek nearly as much as your fingers run up and down the fingerboard. But the part I don't like is still there. They are dull-sounding to me. There are no high overtones to fill out the note and the sustain is almost nonexistent. Mind now, they do not sound bad, especially on the D-55 which makes up for most string deficiencies anyway :) . But there is nothing rich and sonorous and ringing about these Elixers. Now my friend is a good player, so I cannot fault him or his ear or his taste. I know some players really like that sound - as if the strings already have a patina and are fully stretched out. Frosty likes 'em that way and it sure as Hades works for him! :shock: But those of us who change strings as often as we can, in order to avoid that timbre, might agree: Elixer Nanowebs don't meet expectations.

Hey! I didn't start the veer this time!

nutmegger1957

Reaction score
Guildmark: "to each his own" (try Thomastik Infled strings)

and from one "Mr C" to another: thanks...you'll find what you're lookin for.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
Guildmark said:
I have not yet been satisfied with Elixers. Elixer Nanowebs don't meet expectations.

+1 as I find the G String breaks regularly with these, but not with other makes I use, and other people I know have the same problem. My favorite is D'Addario Lights :mrgreen: