Need help with thunder 1 RVT-where do......oh duh. nevermind

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
moved to proper guild amps section

Thunder arrived today in thrilling condition. Very happy. :D :D

The tubes were removed for safe shipping, but I don't know where to put them back in.

the chassis is marked at each socket, but the tube model #s marked aren't the same as the tubes that were sent.

I imagine they are equivalent tubes, but I don't know where to put them. If you can help, let me know what info is needed. I have pics of the chassis and tubes if needed.

Thanks in advance

zulu

sfIII

Reaction score
Guild Total
Re: Need help with thunder 1 RVT-where do all these tubes go?-v2

I know Matsickma answered this question for me several years ago... and I got all the tubes in the right holes.. I been searching... The answer is on this site somewhere...

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total

hey thanks, I've been searching, too.

one socket is marked 12ax7, simple enough.

and two tube packed together 6GW8 power tubes, I guess those go next to each other...

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total

DSCF0872.jpg

dont know why so small. Tubes are: two 6GW8,two 12ax7, one tube just says "super rock power tube (looks like 12ax7), 6BM8 "reverb power tube", and 6CA4 rectifier

sockets:
DSCF0871.jpg

DSCF0870.jpg

DSCF0869.jpg

DSCF0868.jpg

DSCF0867.jpg

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total

Hmmmmm, staring at the pics has helped a bit.
I've got some installed.
are there three 12ax7 tubes?

bear with me while I have a blonde moment.

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total

uuuuuuuuhhhhhmmmm....... never mind. sorry. I figured it out.

:oops:

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
Whoah Nellie. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I really didn't expect this amp to sound so gooD. I mean really good.

wow. nice cleans, suprising growl.

dang.

I'm really happy right now.

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
So here's an update...

Love the tone. Only issue is, on two occasions, the amp has "shut down" during play. both times after about 20-30 minutes of play.
It "fuzzes out", gets silent, and the light goes out.

I shut the switch off, waited a few, and powered back up no problem.

Any Ideas?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Zulu; Old tubes amps often go cheap because the prior owner refused the repair/maintenance estimate ... like refreshing the capacitors in the power supply; that shiny 3" aluminum cylinder sticking straight down on the left side viewed from the back. It's (most likely) going and, if so, it ain't coming back. If you are solder-enabled, there are enough of us here who might be able help you struggle along DIYing it via post and reply but it probably needs to go somewhere and get fixed. I wish I could tell you that all you needed to do was wet your finger and put it in your ear ... but ... maybe someone else has some other ideas. Good luck! CJ

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the response.

Old tubes amps often go cheap because the prior owner refused the repair/maintenance estimate

While this amp has had an extensive recent service, it's not like they can replace everything.

It's one of those funny problems, shut off after 1/2 hour, then played it for an hour plus no problem.

The other thing to report is that from research on this amp it should be hesitant to distort, but it actually starts to break up just over 50% on the volume. Not sure if that's a good thing but it sure breaks up real, real nice.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
zulu said:
While this amp has had an extensive recent service, it's not like they can replace everything. Hi Z: "There's no success like failure, and failure's no success at all" (famous songwriting poet) It's one of those funny problems, shut off after 1/2 hour, then played it for an hour plus no problem.
Maybe someone else will have a better answer than I can come up with ... :( CJ

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
zulu said:
What do I wet my finger with?
I use Stoly but Smirnoff's works just as well.... :wink: Do you have some spare tubes; pre- and power-amp? As they decline, they can get gassy and not function correctly. If you don't have a spare set of 6GW8s, you (and any of you than own Thunder 1/RVT Guilds) should get in touch with Coastie. He has a stash of high-grade NOS and used ones. Can't test the tubes without replacements. Generally intermittents are just about the most annoying thing to work with; squeal, motor-boating, hum, and zzzzz are easier to troubleshoot than something that works, doesn't, but then does.

If your amp were on my bench, I'd start with that multi-section can cap; if it looked reasonably new, I'd go on to the cathode and coupling caps. In the time it might take me to figure out a way to bypass, test, fiddle and diddle each and every cap that might be bad, I could have every one of them replaced. I admit this method is a work-around for not having hundreds of dollars of bench-testing gear and the know-how to use it but rip-and-replace will clear out most problems lying in its path and leave behind known good parts and workmanship. Obviously this wouldn't apply to museum-grade collector amps.

Good luck with your amp! CJ

JazzWest

Reaction score
It could be one of the tubes, most likely the rectifier, or a cold solder joint. Something in the power section. It has an new grounded power cord so maybe a solder joint on the switch?

These Guild amps are fragile and ground shipping could have done this as well. Quick way to tell if it's a cold solder joint or component is when the amp shuts off leave the power switch ON (don't trun it off ) and well...tap or hit the top of the amp moderatley. Does it power back on? I know this sounds primitive but I believe it's a valid stage in the tube amp troubleshooting flow diagram :)

Also, I purchased a '66 Ampeg Gemini II of eBay a while back. The seller packed it very well, but when it arrived I heard something rolling around inside the amp's cab :shock: After I unpacked it, I saw the main filter can cap completley torn out, out on a joy ride. Peeking in the chassis hole, there were the wires ripped off their soldered terminals. I took it to my amp tech to find out that the attachment w/fiber washer it very weak and succetable to shock. So next time you buy an amp have the seller surround those can caps with Bubble Wrap.