Rebuilt my banjo today...

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a really nice banjo that was made by a local guy (same guy that made my birdseye maple mandolin) but this instrument was a little rough around the edges. Couldn't achieve the proper string tension and every time I played it one or more strings would pop off the bridge. Another friend told me the clear head on it was the wrong one, so our friend Don got me a new frosted Remo Weather King head and ZOWIE! She really barks now. She'll stand right out in a whole herd of Martins :lol: And no more slippage :D

I had to pretty much completely disassemble the dadburn thing to replace the head, but it was well worth it. Polished all the chrome while I was at it. It has a rock maple rim, and I found his manufacture date stamped in it on the inside, 12-28-84. (Apparently this was one of his earlier instruments, my mando was built in '98 after he had refined his techniques some). Anyway, here's the finished product:

DSCN1086.jpg

DSCN1089.jpg

DSCN1092.jpg

DSCN1091.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Really a fine-looking instrument Dreadmeister!

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Nice looking banjo! I really love mine. Lately I find myself playing it more than anything...they sure can be addicting! Ok, Dread,...how about a clip of you playing it so can see how it sounds! :D Love the sound of Maple banjos best of all!!

BANJOS_RK.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I knew you would appreciate it, Steel :D I don't have those forward and backward rolls figured out as well as you, tho :(

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Out of the mouths of babes...

I was just ripping through "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" best as I could on my banjo when my four-year-old granddaughter came downstairs, held her finger to her lips and said: "SHHH"! :lol: