Help! '65 blackface PR

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Well, it looks like I've got myself a bit of a project if I want it, and I'm still not sure how extensive a job it will be. I've been bugging a friend to sell me the blackface '65 Fender Princeton Reverb languishing in the basement, but there was a sentimental attachment that precluded parting with it. I borrowed it a few years ago (that was the last time it was plugged in) and it totally turned me on to the whole tube thing. I've never been quite the same since. It had THE sound!

Anyway, tonight I found out it was on the verge of going to Goodwill! Sometime since I last saw it mice got in there and made a home (and a toilet) out of it, and the resultant odor was bad enough to overcame all sentimental attachment. The owner was saddened but disgusted and going to toss it... unless I want it, which of course I do.

However, it does seems like it might be a big clean-up job (with gloves and a mask probably), and likely a never-too-cheap trip to my amp-tech for new wiring and/or whatever other parts little rodents like to eat, poop and pee on, but if it can be saved, it seems like it might be worth it if I can figure out how to get rid of the odor. Of course, I know they're valuable in good shape but I'm not doing this for re-sale.

Am I crazy, or is this do-able? Will I ever be able to bring it in the house? I haven't seen it yet so I don't know the extent of the damage, but the last time I saw it (maybe 2 years) it was all original, looked good and was in fine working order. I don't care too much what it looks like now, but I do care what it smells like.

Has anybody else ever taken on a project like this?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
AlohaJoe said:
........rodents like to eat, poop and pee on, but if it can be saved, it seems like it might be worth it if I can figure out how to get rid of the odor. ......
Has anybody else ever taken on a project like this?

So far I've not had rodents invade my gear.

I've used this stuff in the past it does help. Not sure just how it'd work on an amp, (actually in an amp). Yikes.

Pet shops stock this & other similar products, it has some kind of enzyme that neutralizes odors, Good luck.

odobanGroup.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haven't had the mouse poop problem, but
TAKEITTAKEITTAKEITTAKEIT!!!!!!!!!

I have to go to work, but cheap vodka, sprinkled or wiped on the effected area takes the odor out.

I have cats. :wink:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi AJ: grab it and be grateful a male cat wasn't using it as a litter box. Clorox, rubber gloves, and a paint brush; a few passes and it ought to be good as new. Good luck! CJ

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the good suggestions... I feel a lot better about going for it. I'll pick it up tomorrow and get a chance to really look it over and see how much they ate. A friend suggested that I also paint (black), lacquer or otherwise seal the bare wood on the inside of the cab. It's going to be a few months before I have the $ to take it to the amp-tech, so that gives me some time to do the cleaning.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
AlohaJoe said:
... A friend suggested that I also paint (black), lacquer or otherwise seal the bare wood on the inside of the cab....
... Hi AJ; if the clean-'em-up doesn't work, you might want to consider something less noticeable like matte varnish or shellac. Also, if the owner doesn't want it and neither do you, consider fronting the amp to us here on the BB - he gets the money and we get a shot at buying it in an environment other than CL/eBay ... you, or course, would be entitled to a vigorous Attaboy! :mrgreen: Best, J

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Well, I picked it up tonight and it's actually in decent shape. The speaker (Utah), some wiring and the reverb tank bag got chewed up but it's all either repairable or re-coneable. General clean-up comes first. From the serial# it looks like a '66 but it has no 'Fender' logo on the cloth which might indicate a '64 or early '65 from what I have been able to learn. Tolex and speaker cloth is in good shape, and all the parts are there! Yippee!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats AlohaJoe! That's a dream find for me. Post some pics when you get a chance.

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Re: Help! '65 blackface PR - pics added

I finally had a decent day to get outside and do some cleaning. I scrubbed it thoroughly inside and out and it cleaned up pretty good. The next step is to pull the chassis and speaker (what's left of it), take the chassis to the tech and the speaker to a local re-coner ($40), clean again and then do some tolex touch up with polish and/or Armor-all and re-assemble.

The chassis straps and handle anchors are rusty and the upper back panel is missing; I'm ordering those parts from Mojo. I took the lower panel off to clean. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like with different guitars! I might put a nice Weber in it later, but I think I want to hear the original Utah speaker first and then take it from there, but for now I like the idea of keeping it as original as I can.

PrincetonFront.jpg

PrincetonPanelpg.jpg

PrincetonBack.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Looking good AlohaJose, looking good! CJ

BluesDan

Reaction score
Mouse droppings or no mouse droppings.......it's a '65 Fender PR................I'm drooling too.......