New to me GA18 Explorer

BluesDan

Reaction score
So a few weeks back I posted somewhere in a thread here on LTG what I was looking for in my "next" amp. Capt. Juan read it and offers me his GA18 Gibby for my consideration. (Thanks again Cap :wink: ) This amp was threaded here during its restoration, Cap called it almost museum quality in appearance, and I agree. So of course I jumped and the GA18 made the trek from FLA to NY, arriving safe and sound, no doubt helped by the Caps quality packaging.

As an admitted lifelong "Fender" type amp guy, this is my first experience with a Gibby amp. I have to tip my hat, this baby has got THAT great tube sound. The two 6V6's serve her well. From zero to about five on the volume, she is crystal clean, to the point where I was like "Is this thing on?!" Possibly the quietest tube amp I have ever heard at the lower volume. From around 5 or 6 on up, she gets crunchy to extra crunchy, if you know what I mean. Outstanding tube overdrive, TRUE tube overdrive, not pedal induced. Don't get me wrong, I love my Keeley modded Blues Driver, T9's, and 808's but nothing puts a charge in my playing like REAL tube overdrive. Very nice. The mids are crunchy, bass has a good rumble to it, and nice shimmering highs. Vintage tone. Although it may be a similar tube layout as a Princeton, it certainly is "different", but in a good way. I still love me a good Princeton or Vibroverb or Twin, but this Gibby has sumthin', hard to describe, just a nice ballsy, bluesy, little amp. The tremolo is probably one of the better ones I have heard but I'm not a tremolo type guy, would trade for reverb. However, left the depth and frequency both at "2" and I was digging it.

I spent the good part of yesterday at home, last night at my friends studio, and this morning back home putting her through the "paces". I started out with my Gibby BluesHawk with the Blues90 pups (p-90-ish with the hum canceling dummy coils). Ran it through all 6 positions of the Varitone switch which will kinda give you everything from a strat to a tele to an LP type tones. Very Clapton like tone and sound. Loved it. Moved on to a MIM strat with the Tex Mex Jimmy Vaughan single coils. Sounded like a strat. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just that if you heard it you would say "Yup, Fender Strat, no doubt". (And yes, some may argue that the MIM's aren't real strats anyway....whatever!) Then moved on to my Gibby L6-S with the original Bill Lawrence buckers. Very hot! Amp volume around 7, git volume & tone dimed, extra crunchy mids. I like it alot. Very similar when I plugged in my LP with the Burstbucker Pros, very hot, even more so than the Lawrence pups. Saved the best for last. Plugged in the Guildilicious Blues 90 with the P-90's. Unbelievable tone!!! This amp was made for the P-90's. Typical P-90 smokiness, an acquired taste I think, but I was lovin' it.

Overall, each and every different type of pup just smoked through this amp. My Blues Jr. may be relegated to back up duty to the GA18.

Thanks again Cap! And look! The foot pedal (a piece of art work in itself) is on top of the amp just how you like!!! :wink:
P1010026.jpg

BluesDan

Reaction score
krysh said:
WE WANT SOUNDFILES!

HA!!!! :lol: Like I told Jeff........it's my New Years Resolution to get my sound files accessible here at LTG.........I'm workin' on it!!!!!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
BluesDan said:
I'm not a tremolo type guy, would trade for reverb.
Really? No "Born on the Bayou", "Pretty thing", "Rebel Rouser", or "Uncloudy day" for you, or that menacing, throbbing last verse of Link's "Rumble"? :wink:

Thanks for the great review, nice to hear you're happy with it, and I'll add I'm not surprised the Cap'n delivered - he seems like "that kind of guy".

BluesDan

Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
BluesDan said:
I'm not a tremolo type guy, would trade for reverb.
Really? No "Born on the Bayou", "Pretty thing", "Rebel Rouser", or "Uncloudy day" for you, or that menacing, throbbing last verse of Link's "Rumble"? :wink:

Thanks for the great review, nice to hear you're happy with it, and I'll add I'm not surprised the Cap'n delivered - he seems like "that kind of guy".

Hey Walter......yeah, I guess I need to work a few more "tremolo" tunes in to my song list.......pretty much right now the only one that really "qualifies" as a heavy trem tune is Ghost Riders......gotta love Duane Eddy!!!! :mrgreen:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dan; I'm very happy that you're pleased with the amp. Depending on how and where you use it and how it's stored, you may notice that after awhile, it (and any other tube amp) will start to spit or crackle a little. Usually it's a slight buildup of corrosion on the tube sockets. A little spray contact cleaner, in and out with the tube several times and you'll be good to go.

It's currently running a pair of CBS/Hytron 6V6s recommended by our BBer Teleharmonium. Hytron was a stand-alone WW2 electronics manufacturer that, like others such as Dumont, lost their commercial identity in the 50s being acquired by CBS. The rectifier is a 6087, a military/ruggedized version of the venerable 5Y3. Both the Hytrons and the 6087 were built for service in Cold War aircraft radios and other DoD applications ... not necessarily for audio however it's the manufacturing characteristics that give the 50s 6V6s their darker, smokier quality. If you'd like to piddle (non-invasively) with the amps voice, I'd suggest getting a new set of matched JJs which are very popular.

To my ear, they are intended to emulate a 6L6; cleaner, tinklier, and brighter and will give you the strongest contrast to the Hytrons. You can mess endlessly with the preamp tubes but the move that will have the most interesting effect will be substituting either a 12AT7 or 12AY7 (both with matching function and pinouts). These two 12A__7 types offer lower gain but more clean headroom; they will sound different and switching back and forth will offer some winter Saturday afternoon, snowed-in entertainment (today's high here expected in the low 80s :wink: ).

Finally, I don't know how your Fender amps were biased but this is a cathode-biased amp. The tubes' idle current is set by a resistor between the cathodes and ground whose presence causes a small, positive voltage on the cathode. This cathode voltage, relative to voltage of the grid where the signal enters, is always higher than the grid voltage. When a signal appears at the grid ... the tube literally gets excited and more current flows in proportion to the strength of the signal - the irritant - on the grid. Anyway, because the two cathodes are tied together, cathode-biased amps always need matched output tubes. All of the legitimate web sources like Antique Electronics, TubeDepot, Groovey Tewbs, all of them sell reliable matched sets as do KCA, TubeWorld and others in the Nused, NOS, As-new market. Enjoy! John

guildzilla

Reaction score
Great report, Dan. The trick is that Obi Juan solders with a light saber.

He turned me on to Gibson amps earlier this year. I have a GA-19 RVT Falcon. Great reverb. For me the learning and discovery process continues. It's a lot of fun. Thanks again, CJ, for showing us the light.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
guildzilla said:
... I have a GA-19 RVT Falcon .... Great reverb ... It's a lot of fun. Thanks again, CJ, for showing us the light.
Aw pshaw ... :oops: :wink: ... besides, "None are so blind as those who do not see very well." Esteban of Persepolis My pleasure Gents. J

BluesDan

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
guildzilla said:
... I have a GA-19 RVT Falcon .... Great reverb ... It's a lot of fun. Thanks again, CJ, for showing us the light.
Aw pshaw ... :oops: :wink: ... besides, "None are so blind as those who do not see very well." Esteban of Persepolis My pleasure Gents. J

Additional thanks Cap for the tube smackdown info..........good stuff....will definitely experiment when I get some time......tis the busy season for me workwise.

Zilla: These little Gibbys are pretty cool eh?! I'm having a blast with the GA18. 8) Didn't know about the light saber solderin'.........guess that 'splains it! :lol:

Jeff, thanks for the additional review of the Zoom.....it's on my hit list :wink: