Thunderbass electrocution?

BreederCreature

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been pretty inactive in the forums as of late, been busy I guess.

Anyway, I saw this Thunderbass at Daddy's Junky Music about a month ago and snatched it up. It looked to be in awesome condition and just plain o' looks cool. I played it at the store and it sounded good (and very loud). Brought it to practice and it sounds even better when cranked a bit.

Problem is I'm pretty sure it's electrocuting me? We were running through a song and my hand started to tingle, then it ran down my left arm. I stopped playing the guitar and it went away. I thought it may have been the PA, so I grabbed the mic to move it and it burnt my hand slightly. I unplugged the Thunderbass and switched to my Rockverb for the rest of practice.

About a week later I tried the Thunderbass again. I had the head in standby for a few minutes, then attempted to plug the head into the cab, but noticed that the end of the cable was shocking me if I touched it. I'm not sure if this was because the head was in standby while not being plugged into a cab or what, but I've stopped using the head :(

Anyone know how to fix this? There's a polarity switch on the front of the head, but I'm afraid to mess with it now haha.

Also, does anyone know how to mount the head to the cab? I've linked below to my photobucket album which has more pictures of the head, cab, and mounting stuff. I think I'm missing a washer, but it may be in the head itself, something rattles around when I move it.

full-1.jpg

Click for more pictures (password is guild123): http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/DumbLoserPunk/thunderbass/

Thanks!

-Adam

john_kidder

Reaction score
No information on the mounting, but:

CHANGE THE TWO-PRONG AC PLUG AND CORD IMMEDIATELY FOR A GROUNDED 3-PRONG VERSION.

It might cost $25 for any tech, for an appliance repairperson for that matter, and it might save your life.

If it's already grounded, get it to a tech anyway. This is not a good picture.

Hope to hear from you again.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
BreederCreature said:
... Problem is I'm pretty sure it's electrocuting me? ... Also, does anyone know how to mount the head to the cab?
Hi Adam: You're right; it's shocking you. John K is correct; you need a 3-wire cord and a particular AC line-to-ground capacitor removed. If you want this amp to perform as well as it was intended, I also recommend getting the power supply filter caps replaced. If you or your tech don't have a schematic or don't know which one, PM me with your email addie and I'll send you a schematic. The pic below shows how the head mates to its cabinet. Do you have all the hardware shown in the pic? These are great amps very much worth the trouble and expense. Good luck! CJ

tbassbigrig-1.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Password is actually
guild123

:oops:

Sharp amp! Ditto with the others. Get rid of the death cap (it's leaking, hence the shocks) and three prong cord. New filtercaps for reliability. And post some soundclips! :p

BreederCreature

Reaction score
Sorry everyone! I'm so bad with remembering to check threads and whatnot :( I haven't been electrocuted or anything!

I usually get my gear fixed through Daddy's Junky Music, but is that a reliable place to send this out through? I don't want them to mess it up and I don't want to die :D Anyone have any suggestions as to where to get it fixed?

So I need to:
-get a grounded 3 prong chord/plug
-remove the particular AC line-to-ground capacitor
-replace power supply filter caps

capnjuan: I believe I have all the hardware for the head/cab floaty thingy, there's a pic of what it came with in the album I linked to in my first post. It looks real space-age-y!

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll check back more often from now on, promise!

Also, once I get it fixed I'll record some stuff with the Thunderbass!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
BreederCreature said:
... I usually get my gear fixed through Daddy's Junky Music, but is that a reliable place to send this out through? ... Hi BC; what you're having done, in terms of cars, is more like an oil change than re-building a carburetor from a kit; not technically challenging. Otherwise wouldn't know about Daddy's reliability. So I need to: -get a grounded 3 prong chord/plug -remove the particular AC line-to-ground capacitor -replace power supply filter caps Yes and ask them to spray-clean the pots while they have the chassis open. I believe I have all the hardware for the head/cab floaty thingy, there's a pic of what it came with in the album I linked to in my first post. That looks like all the pieces!
Doing good BC; looking forward to some tunes ... good luck with your amp! CJ

BobsterMan

Reaction score
Not to diminish the problem, guys, but how bad can this be... its not like you are taking 800 volts off the tubes... just a little floating ground voltage off the differences in the chasses... never bothers a lip on the microphone that much. I can almost remember the time when I was 13 years old and I was trying to plug a bass guitar into one of those old cabinet-sized radios with the electromagnetic speakers... my arms jumped off the coil before I felt the shock. Although, it seemed, however, to clear up a few lingering problems associated with my great-great-grandparents on my mother's mother's mother's side being first cousins...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
BobsterMan said:
Not to diminish he problem, guys, but how bad can this be ...
Hi BM; I know you're just having a little fun here and yes, (some) people have survived 20,000 volt lightning strikes. That having been said, the risk associated in getting zapped with 110VAC or 450VDC is cardiac arrhythmia - the precursor of a heart attack which, I also admit, that (some) people have survived. But, the way anti-virus software helps guarantee safe computing and condoms help guarantee safe sex, 3-wire cords and getting rid of the line-to-ground cap help guarantee safe amp sex. CJ